Yahoo! publishing a new style guide for web writing

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Kay, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This July, Yahoo! is bringing out a style guide that focuses purely on writing for the web. The Yahoo! Style Guide: The Ultimate Sourcebook for Writing, Editing, and Creating Content for the Digital World is the full title.

This is Amazon's product description. RRP is $21.99. Amazon's selling it at a third off, $14.84 plus shipping.

Would you be tempted to buy this? Why ... or why not?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sounds like a great book Kay, I'm always interested in learning how I can improve my writing on the web. Given that it's from a major search engine, I'd expect it to be helpful. I've added it to my Amazon wish list and will probably purchase it, when it's released in the summer.

3. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'd be interested because it's coming from the Yahoo! camp too Fergal. At the very least I'd know my pages are going to be optimized to Yahoo!'s liking and that's more than we'd ever know about Google's preferences. A book like this has been begging to be written for a long time.

On a side note Fergal, have you considered setting up an Amazon Associates account or some other bookstore's affiliate program? Then if we buy books we hear about at BAF we can do so from here and give a little back. Every little helps. :)

#3 Kay, Apr 30, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the suggestion Kay, it's something I've been considering for some time. I just need to take the time and actually do it.

5. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Heck, Fergal, I have a million things on my need to take the time and actually do it list. I know the feeling. :)

When you're ready you might be interested in this article that rates and reviews various well known book affiliate programs.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks Kay, I'm not surprised to see that Amazon has the highest score. I also found the "5 QUICK TIPS FOR WRITING GREAT BOOK REVIEWS" section of that article, helpful.

7. facerecpromo

facerecpromo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Looks very interesting specially b'coz it is from Yahoo. I would like to get copy b'coz now I want to improve my web writing and I am eager to get some tips and suggestions from Yahoo..

But the problem is I live in India. So if I convert its price in my currency it will be too big amount for me which I can not afford. This is a big problem for me that I want to my many books but b'coz of the same problem I can't.

I don't know solution..
    Does anyone have solution and suggestion?

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

facerecpromo, maybe you can find a good second hand book store in your area? Or perhaps you could even buy books second hand from eBay?

9. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

facerecpromo, Amazon also sells books used. If I were you I'd bookmark it and check back every so often to see if you can pick up a used version. The page will change to show availability eg 20 new and 1 used. Once it's out, they'll probably have alternative sellers listed on that page too. When I've bought from Amazon I've went through one of the partner sites listed instead because they were cheaper.

Think about shipping costs too all the way from here. It could be worth waiting and seeing if it shows up on the Ebay site or an online booksellers in India.

10. facerecpromo

facerecpromo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanx Kay..
    I have bookmarked link and will definately check frequently for used copy out there. In between I am also looking for local sellers here in India.
    Thanx for great advice. :)