Writing Terms of Service

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by hcted, Sep 9, 2010.

1. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Before I launch my website, I need a fully functional Terms of Service as the site is basically a "fan" or "branch" site of another website. However, we are not affiliated with the company at the other website at all. We have a lot of things like this, and I cannot launch a service without a working terms,

so I ask, how can I write terms of service. I was tempted to copy a basic look from one sites and modify it to fit my site.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

hcted your terms of service will be largely driven by the the type of site you have. For example, the terms of service for a hosting site would be different to those of a directory website. Can you please give us a little more info about the site you will be launching?

3. Aquarezz

Aquarezz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When I'm writing my terms of service, I usually look to the TOS of another site in the same niche and than write most of the important things on a paper. After that, I start writing my own texts based on those subjects ;)

4. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is Tweet Zone. And the service is custom coded and uses a lot of Twitter-Related services, and we are ofcourse, nor affiliated with or part of Twitter. I need to make that clear in the Terms.

I agree they can vary a lot, which is why it would take about an hour to rewrite and such.

@aq I planned on doing that, I just wanted to see if it is a bit easier to write them my selves for a startup.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The first thing you should probably do is to put a note to that effect in the footer of every page of your site. As your users submit some data in order to register, you should also include a privacy policy on your site. This article on Google should provide you with some useful pointers on how to write your privacy policy.

6. MichaelSullivan

MichaelSullivan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great ideas. I am also planning on writing my own TOS. This thread is of great help, i'm halfway through it. :)

7. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the Link!

Yeah, none of the footer links are complete, just filled with random info. Infact, the whole site's platform is not even done. I am still coding the website. I meant to put up a temporary index page so the site would be 'hidden'.

Thanks for the responses! When I have a draft written I will post it here to see what everyone thinks. :)