Writing content for people: What ways can someone get work doing it?

Discussion in 'Content Marketing' started by lets-build, Jun 16, 2014.

1. lets-build

lets-build
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My girlfriend has just finished university, her dissertation was read out by the tutor to another year and was quoted as being "one of the best dissertations she had ever read" and she's been told that she should go into academic writing by countless professionals.
    So when she was asking me what she could do online to make abit of money (obviously now in heaps of debt from uni) I suggested content writing...

But I've never had any experience with it, does anyone have any advice on where she could advertise her services and what people usually charge? the quality of the what she would write would be so high that I wouldn't want her to go on elance or similar and start fighting for the the lowest price.
    I suggested she should setup a blog to show off her skills but other than that I'm not sure what the best approach would be.

2. ellisthomas86

ellisthomas86
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Along with content writing ask her to go for some online marketing course as well. That will definitely give a hype to the profession.

3. leverstand

leverstand
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Congrats to your girl friend.

The internet needs more content on daily basis, hence there is a need to hire more writer, which means your GF would have a whole lot of client once she gets her foot into the game, but your question is how/where should she begin, so am gonna answer that as appropriate.

First, you've got to understand that, writing online requires some sort of port-folio, people want to know what you're made off, they want to know how good you are, so for a starter, I would suggest that she writes a very good article on 3-5 different topics (ensure that the article is top notch), then she should register for an account on popular outsourcing platforms (odesk, fiverr, elance, freelancer iwriter e.t.c), while doing that, she should also create a blog (she can set up a free blog if she can't afford to buy a domain name and hosting) but I strongly suggest that she buy a hosting and domain (everything cost less than 50$), she should then post those articles on her blog, and continue to run the blog, sharing information about what she cares about, on her profile on Elance and other popular outsourcing platform, she can always refer people back to her blog as a sample of her work.

She can also offer to guest post on popular blogs as a way of creating proper publicity for herself, above all you should understand that it takes time to make a name out there, but once everything is in place, there is nothing stopping her from making a living as a freelance writer online.

4. lets-build

lets-build
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah I think a blog would be the best way to go with it then. As I said before I don't think she should go on elance type sites fighting for the lowest price but rather try and make contacts through other ways online

5. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What i can suggest though is to first acquire a good rating from employers by having it, you can then increase your service ratings later. Working to some employers from Odesk and elance can also enhance your skills for they do provide some instructions on how to do things right.

6. lets-build

lets-build
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hmmm I'm not sure it's a good idea but I'll speak to her about using odesk and elance and see what she says. I think working on her own blog would be time better served though really

7. alfordarmando

alfordarmando
    uix_expand uix_collapse

She can advertise her services on facebook as there are many employers looking for article writers. She can join some groups there. She can work on freelancers or odesk

8. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Its actually the best I can think of to show future employers how good she will be being an employee. Her results will also be her portfolio.