Writing a Business Proposal

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by lindsey, Aug 2, 2010.

1. lindsey

lindsey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have been asked to submit a Business Proposal by an estate agent as I am looking to take up premises to open a cafe. The proposal if successful will then be referred to the local borough who will call prospective tenants for an interview.

Can anyone please help me with what it should contain and roughly how long it should be?
    (I understand what a business plan should include but not clear on a proposal)

Thanks

2. firstchoicecar

firstchoicecar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Be specific with the content and make sure it was properly explain in a very simple and understandable speech.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

lindsey welcome to our business forum. That's an interesting situation you find yourself in, the property market has crashed in Ireland, and property owners would be very keen to get your business - hence would not be likely to ask you for a proposal before renting a property to you. Their main concern would be that you could pay the rent. In fact, what this estate agent is probably looking for is evidence that you will be good for the rent and you won't damage the property.

Have you completed a business plan for the business? If you have, give them a copy of it (provided you are not concerned with confidentiality), with a cover letter explaining the type of business you will operate, how it will make a profit and how you will be able to meet the rent payments.

You might find some of the business plan templates linked from our Useful Business Resources / Links thread helpful.

Another suggestion that I would make is that you remember that you are the potential client. Therefore, you should not be afraid to ask the estate agent exactly what they are looking for in the business proposal.

4. lindsey

lindsey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you for your advice.
    I don't have a business plan for this but I previously wrote one as a project for a different type of business, so I know the required contents.

For my proposal I've covered the key areas so its kind of like a mini business plan.

Regards
    Lindsey

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the reply Lindsey, good luck with it and please post back to let us know how it works out.

6. FunPromo

FunPromo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This was very helpful, I am in the process of writing one for my self and this clarified a lot.