WP & Blog Templates?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by brad1985, Oct 9, 2008.

1. brad1985

brad1985
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Profit from WP Templates

There are hundreds of sites out there giving away free WordPress Templates that it makes me want to stop trying to sell mine. Is there actually someone who buys a template or not? If so, what kind of template are we talking about?

2. brad1985

brad1985
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I want to design some cool blog templates, is there any standard for this? I further on want to sell them so what should I focus on? Any sites that contain examples of blog templates?

3. silent_thunder

silent_thunder
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Read my blog!! I am writing about web design So I will be adding contents about web design and what standards to follow and what should you keep in designing!!
    Its in my signature http://smartpixels.net

4. silent_thunder

silent_thunder
    uix_expand uix_collapse

WP template market is saturated with lots of players concentrate on CMS instead..do templates for Joomla or drupal there is a lot of market for them!! Learning to code joomla templates is easier!! CSS zen garden is giving free starter edition template for you to learn!!

Giving Free WP themes can be a good thing too!! You design a WP template hardly takes 2 days to finish a template, create 10 to 12 WP themes and put you links in the footer and make sure you License for the template includes compulsory placement of links of the footer..Then your links will get unlimited backlinks thereby increasing SERPS so inturn increases your earnings..this a good way too earn from WP themes..Selling them for prices requires a very good designing and marketing team

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Brad, you should find the webmaster and freelance links in our Useful Online Business Resources useful.

I'd suggest visiting the templates and graphics trading sections of the listed webmaster forums and looking at what sells and what doesn't. This will give you a good idea as to the standards you need to design to.

Yes people do still buy WP templates. Some very large and successful blogs sell copies of their templates, for example.

Personally if I was going to pay for a template and I was going to invest time and money into my blog, I'd seriously consider commissioning a designer to design a unique one for my site. It wouldn't cost significantly more than purchasing a ready made template.

Threads merged!

6. Mattie03

Mattie03
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are free templates and some are for sale.

7. brad1985

brad1985
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm totally agree with you, Joomla is very popular in the market, some of my friends are making Joomla temp, and promote via blogs, people love it!

thanks for such useful suggestions!

seems very good, but it does have some risks.

8. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've seen enough excellent WP themes that I'd not pay for one unless like Fergal said, I was commissioning a design of my very own. The official WordPress site has recently started a new list of templates and is letting the old one gather dust so it's a good time to get in there with a freebie first. Get the hits and your name out there before you think of selling.

I'll dig out some links for you, but right now they're on my other computer. I'll add them to the resources. :)

9. brad1985

brad1985
    uix_expand uix_collapse

thank you Kay, looking forward to your links!

10. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You're welcome, brad. I added one the other day and just added some more I think you'll find useful. :)

Useful Business Resources

#10 Kay, Oct 21, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  11. brad1985

brad1985
    uix_expand uix_collapse

thank you, it's very kind of you!