Would You Rent Or Buy an Email List?

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by Redd, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Redd

Redd
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are a number of site [mostly internet marketing forums] where anyone can buy or "rent" email lists. Some of the email lists cost as much as $250 with the cheapest ones costing more than $25. However the sellers make no promises. You may buy an email list, send your emails and at the end of it all, sell nothing. In fact there's not even the guarantee that your emails will get read.

Could be I'm being too pessimistic.

Does anyone here have some experience renting or buying email lists? What results did you obtain?

2. Khalid

Khalid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Redd,

Great question, and I'm glad you asked first! You aren't being pessimistic at all.

A few months ago I did an online course which revolved around email marketing. They were pitching the idea of solo ads (renting someone else's email list) as the "fastest way to grow your email list" to 10,000 subscribers. That is true but at what cost?

The course had 2000 students and we all mostly had so-so results. Here are my exact results:
    4 solo ads (paid for 4x100 clicks): 457 clicks received going to landing/opt-in page
    Actual email addresses received via landing/opt-in page: 156 emails
    Click to email conversion rate: 34%

But in reality it was worse than that because many of the email addresses were bogus! How do I know, my autoresponder weeded some out since they were on blacklists, hard bounces etc.

Now I'm not saying solo ads don't work at all. There are so many variables, solo ad seller (are they honest or not), quality of the email list (do you really know who is on it?), your email copy, your offer and your landing page. Personally I decided to shift my focus to content creation on my blog, and Facebook ads. I'd rather build my own list from scratch so I know exactly who is on it.

If you are interested in seeing the results yourself for a solo ad, you can spend less than $100 and test it out. One good thing about the course was that they had their own solo ad vendor portal called Clickonomy. The main benefit over the other competitors is that you are protected essentially by escrow. Clickonomy receives your payment and will not release the funds unless you are happy with the results. So if you feel like you were ripped off, then you don't release the payments.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Personally I achieved big success doing email marketing campaigns when I just started making money on the web in the early 2000s days.

When the time went by and spam concerns began to be public domain, success rate decreased dramatically and since several years back, I use different marketing techniques but refrain from using email marketing.

Therefore I don't buy nor rent email lists, but still have a distribution list gathered from my own on-site subscription list.

Either way, I am starting over my online projects from scratch, what means that I have to little to offer in a newsletter that could be worth the price of those long email lists.