Would you hire a friend?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by kaian, Jul 15, 2015.

1. kaian

kaian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Have you tried hiring a friend or a close relative into your business? How was the outcome? Did you have a difficult time dealing with issues because you are careful not to hurt the person involved simply because he or she is a close friend or relative?

2. pwarbi

pwarbi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've worked with a friend on two occasions in two different business ventures, and they both had very different outcomes.

The first time was a joint partnership and it all went pretty smoothly, we both had the same ideas and the same vision of what we wanted with business. The second time unfortunately, didn't work out at all, and even though we had known each other socially for a number of years, working together was a big mistake right from the beginning.

3. Redd

Redd
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It never is a good idea to hire friends or relatives to work for you because to preserve whatever relationship you previously had, you'd have to be more lenient with them even when they screw up. Of course not all relatives and friends are that bad or incompetent but why take the risk? Better hire someone who is qualified for the job and . . . avoid problems.

Employees can be replaced [easily] but friends and relatives [who are supposed to be by your side forever] — it would be a lot harder to replace them should you hire one of them and some misunderstanding make them to start hating you.

4. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, while I think that hiring a friend to come along with you in an online or offline project, I don't think it's good idea invite family members to participate because they may not take seriously the job and might expecting to receive preferential treatment, not to mention that if for some reason you exchange arguments with them, this may cause a major personal problem than the problem associated to the business itself.

That said, hiring friends depends on what the project is, and your criteria to determine how much they will be willing to participate. If you go an ask any random friend, he or she may say "yes" but just for sympathy, not necessarily for being interested in the project.

Based on your criteria, is easy to know if the friend will accept to get into the project, knowing beforehand that if he/she accepts is because of genuine interest on the project, not just a complimentary acceptation.

I have worked with both, family and friends, and this is why I don't recommend to get a family member involved, because the outcome in my case was getting my sister mad at me for correcting her when going wrong, and always trying to do whatever she wanted and no whatever was needed because of the fact of being my sister and I had to forgive whatever she could do.

With friends, I only succeeded when I began to determine what friend is the most suitable to work with me, that simply inviting friends to see how many takers are.

5. Stef

Stef
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In would just give it a shot. Just make some clear agreements so everything which is business related is separated from everything of your private lives. During the cooperation also have a meeting every month where you tell each other if there is something which is bothering you. If one of you is bothered by something, then try to solve the problem and if you can't do that then cut the business related ropes. But if everything is working out, then that's great! Keep on working then! :)

- Stef

6. Diane Lane

Diane Lane
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think perhaps some people could handle this type of arrangement, especially depending upon the state and type of relationship that existed prior to the hiring, and also the personalities involved. The type of business could make a difference, also. If it's a close family member or friend, and the person looking to be hired is responsible, competent, and respectful, it might work out. If it's someone who is a layabout, and his/her parents or your parents/grandparents, whoever it is, want you to hire the person to 'straighten him/her out', that's a red flag.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Danielle Davidson

Danielle Davidson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I might depending on how close I was to me. Sometimes it's hard to work with a friend just because you're always wanting to keep the peace. If it for something that I was doing online then I would hire then for some help. I would especially hire them if they could really help me out. If it was something where I would have to see them everyday, then I don't know if I would want to hire them.

8. m0n2k

m0n2k
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A few years ago I had someone help me with a business I wanted to start. I hired a friend to help me with a business venture and it was a failure.
    I was selling clothes and jewelry. My so called friend would goof off and give away stuff. I would almost get into fights with this guy over stuff he was doing. I know you have to be the boss not your employees friend for sure, don't hire friends unless you don't mind firing friends.

9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't own any business yet so I have never tried hiring a friend before, but I don't see anything wrong with hiring one of your friends. If he/she fits the job and very hardworking, then I would definitely consider that person for the position.

10. Corzhens

Corzhens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No is my answer to the thread title. In fact, the rule against nepotism (hiring a relatve) works in such a way to free an employee from the burden of supporting someone who doesn't deserve to be supported. In family business where the board of directors are mostly composed of family members, squabbles are common because some directors don't deserve to be in the position. With friends, it is the same thing - you will just ruin your friendship.

11. missbishi

missbishi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I wouldn't hire a friend or relative either. I've seen difficulties arise in these situations first hand and the common feeling is that people are reluctant to challenge the behaviour because they don't want to rock the boat. It's better to keep your professional and personal life completely separate.

12. anorexorcist

anorexorcist
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't own a business but I think I would not hire a friend to work with me... I've heard of people who do that and their relationships end up really bad or is not always the same, I think that relationships and work are a very difficult thing to get along and I don't wanna risk my relationships!

13. lporter

lporter
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Personally, I would maybe work with one of my friends and I'm not sure how that would turn out. I would not work with any of my family. I think it depends on what type of bond and understanding you have with that person. Sometimes, when you are close to a person they expect a few favors here and there . . . the "family discount." Others might believe in business is business and personal life is personal. You just have to set the right guidelines from the beginning.

14. kaian

kaian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I had opened three businesses already and I failed on each one of them. I had done my part in evaluating where did I go wrong and one of the main factors is hiring a confidant or a relative. I know I should have learned my lessons by now but I guess I also need to have a change in my personality as I tend to give every person I meet a second or even a third chance.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Onionman

Onionman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think if we are upfront about the working relationship and the individual can add some value, then I think that I would hire a friend. Problems arise when there's a breakdown in communication, a lack of clarity about the working relationship, and situations where you don't know the friend as well as you thought you did (or vice versa). It's difficult but if you trust them enough it could work.

16. Winterybella

Winterybella
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I was thinking about starting a similar thread and then I stumbled on this one. I tried working with my husband from the beginning of the year and simply put it's not working out. Under the right circumstances I think we would be a great team but for now, it's not happening. In this case I was the 'employee' or more like ' ex employee'. That's another story for another forum.

Now I will speak as the employer and believe me when I tell you it's not the best position to put yourself in. I have had a family member working with me for more than a decade and whenever I have to speak to her I find myself delaying and honestly holding back so that I don't hurt her feelings. I love her to death but I know that sometimes we would both be happier working in two different environments. If I could, I would prefer to keep friends and business very separate. I have seen too many bad or sad stories with family and friends working together.

#16 Winterybella, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  17. wameyo

wameyo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'd definitely hire a friend but he'll have to pass through some screening just like the rest of the employees. He'll have to be qualified plus he'll need to pass an interview too.

18. m0n2k

m0n2k
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Even tho I said I wasn't in support of it, there are some exceptions. Sometimes you have people who are very professional and have work experience. You may have a friend or family member who went to school for business. If any one is reliable and knows what there doing they deserve a chance. In the past I haven't been fortunate enough to have this experience tho.

19. benecklary

benecklary
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My Suggestion will be dont hire relative it will create lot of problems instead of relative you can hire friend but in salary based ask him to invest both together will work in business it will success. if you hired friend in salary basis some of the activities will make you hurt. dont hire for salary basis.

20. judithsellnetoow

judithsellnetoow
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi I would like to suggest dont hire both friends and relative just get the advice from them how to expand the business and sales. if you hired it will affect the relationship