Would you ever get so angry, you’d tell a customer to piss off?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Valentine, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Valentine

Valentine
    uix_expand uix_collapse

They say the customer is king and the ability to manage problem/irate customers is the hallmark of good customer service. Have you ever being in a situation where you had a customer that was so problematic, you literally asked the customer to piss off and never patronize you again? If you haven’t, would you ever ask a customer never to patronize you again?

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

One of the rules of customer service is that you can't "tell a customer where to go". I once joked to a co-worker that you can, but you have to do it in such a way that they not only go there, they thank you for the advice. Seriously, though, if a customer is a problem, you can, nicely and privately, tell them that their behavior is unacceptable. There are also going to be cases where a customer is so belligerent that they must be forcefully removed, but they can also be spoken to privately. And, of course, if they are stealing and or causing damage, they can be prohibited from entering the business, and legally prosecuted if necessary.

3. shivshakti

shivshakti
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In a bout of anger you might want to do such a thing but this is something that should be avoided in all circumstances. It seem to be an easier option when you are thoroughly irritated by a customer but try to show concern, sympathy and listen to his problems with great and genuine interest. That's how you become a good sales person. For detailed instructions on how to manage people, you can read the book 'how to make friends and influence people' by Dale Carnegie. It helps a lot.

4. tunescool

tunescool
    uix_expand uix_collapse

there is no reason to be negative with a customer unless he blatantly being absurd

5. MahaKarthi

MahaKarthi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think one cannot simply react negatively to customers without any valid reasons. Also, when anyone reacts very badly to customers then it cannot be marked as a good customer service instead it would be said as the bad service instead. So, when you are in a business understanding customers is very important and convincing them or making them understand things are the very basic things to follow.

6. atlantisrocks

atlantisrocks
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As a provider of a service, there are certain tasks you can perform and a host of tasks you cannot perform.

Obviously, if a customer is asking you to do what you are not equipped to do, then you can do nothing but refuse. First, politely, then more firmly.

Eventually there may be a point at which you can no longer service that customer's wants and needs.

At that point such a problematic customer must be told to take his business elsewhere. You can try to do this politely, but some people must be told firmly to piss off.

7. Jybrael

Jybrael
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well to be honest considering I wouldn't want any bad rep for my business whatsoever...and depending on the situation...I would do my best not to get angry at a customer. I will still try to explain to him the whole situation and if he doesn't understand politely ask him to check somewhere else.

8. bburkeconsulting

bburkeconsulting
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As a business owner --- heck yes! if the situation warranted
    As an employee --- only if i didn't need the job!

9. gina666

gina666
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes,that is the point,poor employee

10. B2025

B2025
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think you would have to ask yourself the value of that customer vs the damage that customer would cause (and the opportunity cost dealing with that customer). I wonder if at times there can be a logical argument made for chopping a customer. I'm certain there can be, but I don't know that I've ever heard of a situation where it was a cut and dry case. I wonder what the worst experiences you've had with customers are. I'd be interesting in hearing to see if any are definitely worthy of letting a customer go!

11. M.Ehrmantraut

M.Ehrmantraut
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Especially now in this day and age of social media, it would depend a lot on the type of business you have and as you said, they amount of damage that customer would/could cause. One time when I was working for Gold's gym in management, we were updating member's profiles as they would come in - they would swipe their card and if their info and/or pic wasn't updated, the front desk employee would update the info and/or take a pic. So one day this woman comes in with her girlfriend, she had no pic on her profile (this was our main way of identifying members checking-in) and was asked to stop for just a second to have her picture taken. She FLIPPED-OUT and became irate, I witnessed the whole interaction and the employee was more than kind throughout. Halfway through her rant, her friend steps-in and starts in on the poor girl, I walked-up and asked if I could help and tried to diffuse the situation and those two just weren't trying to hear anything, cussing and making a huge scene, all over a picture. I told the woman, no problem, we'll cancel your membership right here and now, all very professionally, which was hard as hell lmao and I asked them to leave - they did but not after a few more choice words and knocking some stuff off the desk. Some people you are just unable to please and deal with, best to cut ties if at all possible.

12. MatthewOlszewski

MatthewOlszewski
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I do not agree with the statement, our customer is king. I think it is greatly exaggerated. On the other hand, good customer service requires that we tried to help our customers solve the issue if it is related to our business. If the customer is difficult, above all, we need to keep emotions in check and give him an answer which ended that conversation.

13. Kevin Peter

Kevin Peter
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

Take it up. Answer all his queries. It definitely helps you improve your patience and knowledge level by answering to all his doubts. Apologize if wrong and provide a work around. Else, let him know the scenario and how it seems to others.