Would you change your site because of the new Google Instant Preview?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Kay, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think site owners that have a really dated looking site would have to if they want anyone to click through to it. If I saw a preview and the site looked nasty, I wouldn't click it. In case you've not read about this new feature that's being rolled out now, here it is. Just look for the magnifying glass beside the search results you get.

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2010/11/instant-previews.html

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Yes, I would be more conscious of the design of my sites, knowing that searchers will be looking / previewing the design, before they even visit the site. The Instant Preview covers the Google sponsored listings to the right of the main search results, I wonder what impact will have on click through rates. It's a good addition, I like the idea of being able to preview sites before visiting them.

3. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I tend to wonder how popular this addition will actually be. It's something that has been available via browser add ons for quite some time, yet never gained widespread popularity.

While webmasters and designers should always have had design as a high priority, I can see the addition of this causing some small tweaks in design implementation making the appearance more attractive in the preview window.

4. Full Spectrum

Full Spectrum
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am actively re-designing my site anyways (its not the prettiest thing right now) so I am definitely looking through the previews of other sites and thinking about what looks good. For example red and purple seem to look distorted.

What interests me is the text call-outs. Supposedly they are automatically selected based on what users are searching for, and some websites seem to have great call-outs others seem to be rather irrelevant.

5. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, I just found out about this two days ago when I was searching and accidentally clicked the magnifying glass button.
    I think it's a good addition to Google since I won't have to install another add-on that might make my browser slower.

Funny thing is, the preview never changed since last Saturday, which is kinda weird since my blog is cached regularly having my latest blog post.
    I have a hunch that it's due to my Temporary Internet Files loading the preview when I first saw it and not putting an updated one. :(

6. ledison

ledison
    uix_expand uix_collapse

so it is difficult to choose.i can put more pictures on site to make my site more attractive,but it is harmful for seo and it slow down the site connection at the same time.

7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't think it will be difficult. As long as your optimize your images and use the right web safe format like JPG and GIF, it will be ok.
    And I'm wondering why did you say that having images can be harmful to SEO?

8. freelancemom

freelancemom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, those text call outs are definitely key -- I agree Gen. I'm not sure I would make any changes to a site based on instant preview alone. Sites should look good (anyway) and the text should be compelling, useful and relevant to the search results anyway... so sites that are developed well will likely benefit by instant preview with some users.

9. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Call outs are query specific, not site/page specific, so it's a very difficult one to try and 'optimize' (although people are already reworking placement of key terms on pages to try and achieve it).

There has already been a lot of reaction to this, ranging from people totally reworking pages and removal of meta description tags (and DMOZ/Yahoo description info), but I'm not sure if the results of these will be beneficial in the long run. Worth trying it out on a few of your pages to see if it has an impact on CTR for your site.

10. ComJan

ComJan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is one more nail into the coffin for flash... even though they say they arent.

11. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have to confess here to you, freelancemom and Gen that I have no idea what you mean by text call-outs. Please explain. Is that anything to do with the way the recent Instant Search feature (yuck!) works?

And welcome aboard, Gen and freelancemom! :)

12. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If I'm not mistaken, this is what they are talking about: http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/466/78211447.jpg

13. freelancemom

freelancemom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Kay and GekiDan -- yes, that's exactly what we mean by the text call outs. An interesting feature, isn't it? :)

14. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks GekiDan and freelancemom! It is interesting, yes. And I'm so glad GekiDan explained that with a picture or I'd never have got it! Worth a thousand words indeed. :)