Would you be interested to introduce your products or services to China online?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Jimmie, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Jimmie

Jimmie
    uix_expand uix_collapse

We are planning to develop a bilingual online publishing and sharing platform that helps people in Chinese and English communities connect online for business purposes. Through bilingual listing (English and Chinese), small and medium enterprise owners will be able to list their products and services there in English. And we will translate them into Chinese for free in order for Chinese users to access it. I was wondering how much interest SME owners will have in this kind of service. If you can share your thoughts on that, I will really appreciate that.

2. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sure, it is good and nothing wrong for the seller to get more chance on selling their product
    This is one of the great idea

3. Jimmie

Jimmie
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for your response, sigma. I appreciate it.

4. Daftblogger

Daftblogger
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sure Jimmie, I would be interested. Very interesting idea!

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to our Business Forum Jimmie. I feel that your idea good work very well. Here in Ireland (like many other countries) we are doing more and more business with China and the language barrier is a significant obstacle to this business. A service like the one you are proposing would be very helpful to businesses on both sites, for overcoming that obstacle.

How would you plan on generating revenue from the service?

6. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One of the potential pitfalls I see is we still have to determine whether China is a market that shops online. For example, India is an expanding, growing economy and many businesses are already doing deals there. However, from a strictly online consumer market point of view, even most of my Indian friends tell me that India is not ready to be deep in online shopping. So we would have to determine if this is true with China as well.

Although big corporations are already doing big deals in China, the online consumer market is another thing. Also there could be a big difference between shopping online domestically versus internationally. Chinese shoppers may feel different with business within China compared to those international.

7. Jimmie

Jimmie
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The projected revenue streams are human translation service fee, premium membership fee, prominent spot promotion fee, and online transaction service fee.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jimmie

Jimmie
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As a native Chinese, I have studied, worked and lived in North America for almost a decade. Therefore I have pretty good knowledge about China and the West. China is already a mature online consumer market. For urban people with only 200 USD monthly income, they are very used to and feel comfortable at shopping online.

Clint, I think you raised a legitimate concern about doing online international shopping in China. There is tariff and international shipping involved. But there is a huge demand on Western goods and services because they usually have better quality and design. There are over one thousand websites in China specializing in overseas shopping. They are primarily used by overseas Chinese as agents to bring products into mainland China in bulk for a profit. Right now in terms of SMEs outside of China looking for international expansion, China is most of the time out of reach because of language barrier and high costs of market research before an entry. What we plan to do is to lower the bar of entry. We will break the language barrier for overseas SMEs and bring them the free exposure to the growing number of Chinese online users. We will help them connect online. Initially it will be more of a free introduction to Chinese market. As SMEs know more about Chinese market and Chinese users know more about their products or services, there will be more business partnering and online transactions happening between the two sides down the road. This is the road map we plan.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That all sounds great Jimmie, if I had an online store selling Irish goods for example, I would be very interested in using your service to help expand my market and start selling into China.

10. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I also have future sights on China as well but as a speaker and seminar leader first, then along with my products. I will likely have to learn Mandarin first although I heard that I might be able to get a smaller business market there that understands English and is hungry for western speakers. Also any ex-pats working there would be part of this intial market. I can probably do parts of my keynotes in Cantonese but that would restrict me to just areas closer to Hong Kong.

11. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Then, you should consider to learn Cantonese as well, still many hong kong people can't speak well in chinese

12. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm already about 60% fluent in Cantonese since it's the language of my family background. I have a language coach to help me work out a Cantonese translation of my motivational keynote and I have maybe 1/2 of it memorized. My intial plan is to come to Asia probably to the regions where I can do my English keynotes first and maybe also offer a Cantonese version as an extra talk. This will be Hong Kong, Macau, Malyasia and Singapore. I don't know if there would be opportunities in southern China near Hong Kong (enough of an audience for either English or Cantonese).

My Mandarin right now is zero so I would have to learn it from scratch in order to come to Beijing and Shanghai. I have heard that there have been English speakers coming to China and they used a live translator on stage with them. I may consider this but it just doesn't seem as spontaneous with the audience as compared to doing a presentation directly in their language.

Any thoughts on this?

• Like Like x 1