Would this idea work?

Discussion in 'Business Ideas' started by Adam, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Adam

Adam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Heya

As most of you know i sell alot of my items through ebay but i have some dead stock left over which means they must be shifted in order to make room for new.

What my idea was to get rid of these items, was to sell them at 1 pound + normal postage?

Would that help to shift my items if they are defiantly worth upto 15 pounds worth of value?

If that idea you feel wont work, let me know your ideas :)

Many thanks
    Adam

2. dahlia84

dahlia84
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I admit, I am not a pro in Share/Stock market but then from what I have learnt, Dead Stock is one which can not be sold, yeah? Also, they say, "Dead stock is too often purchased because of lack of knowledge and communication between sales and purchasing". Having that definition in place, I am just wondering how do you estimate that your dead stocks are worth upto 15 pounds and how are you planning to sell them @ 1 pound/stock?

3. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Adam, It is worth a try as getting some cash in for the stock is better than it sitting there taking up room. Just make sure you make careful notes of what sold and what did not sell etc. so you do not end up with the same dead stock again.

Another thing you could try is to add this stock onto one of your other sales as a "free gift" with a winning bid - it may just knock the price up a £ or 2.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sean's idea of adding your stock as a free gift is an excellent one and it could help you to make sales.

Have you considered other ways that you might be able to shift that dead stock? For example are there any local shops or market stalls that might be interested in buying that product from you? Similar to Sean's idea I know of one store who is always keen on finding very cheap product that they can in turn offer to their customers as a free gift when they make a purchase.

5. Adam

Adam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well id class it as dead stock as it has not really shifted since i bought from in the first place but im not sure what the exact term is so calling it that cause i can lol.

Id simply sell them at 1 pound each per item to cover costs of buying the item and postage. Surprisingly, some of the things i still make a profit...

Yeah well im gonna try having one last shot at selling them firstly by other means of advertisement and hopefully it should work.

Great 2nd idea :) muchly appreciated as i did not think of it myself untill now, may have a look into that :)

Yeah ive considered lots of options before coming to this idea that i have come up with however i have decided one last shot and have advertised in my local advertising paper for FREE which should hopefully drum up business or if not, people know what i sell so that may contact me in the near future. Im going to see aswell if any market stall traders and that type of thing would take the items basically of my hands but at a good enough price for us both to be happy.

I suppose its the waiting game and time will tell really, id just like if they could sell as it would be nice to sell different products possibly worth abit more money then less then 10 pounds my usual items are valued at.

6. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Adam,

I think selling it at low price is good idea. But some people won't buy them as they think that they cannot get good quality at low price. As suggested by Sean you should try to give it with your other products as a Free Gift. Or I would like to suggest you that you sell them on higher price then the value of it, in this case the people who have habit of buying at high price will surely purchase your product.

7. Adam

Adam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sound advice there my friend,basically your saying that if the item is marked cheap then the item will be cheap quality or so it seems.Well i understand you from that point of view and i thankyou for taking time to reply :)

8. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You are welcome my friend, so have you decided about how you are going to selling it?

9. Adam

Adam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well like ive said, im going to try and sell a few items through my local paper for free (should be putting my advert in next week hopefully) and the outcome of that should determine what im going to do next.