Would this be profitable?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by agentmanningctu, Oct 26, 2010.

1. agentmanningctu

agentmanningctu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I saw a WordPress plugin that allows a header to be added as a default to all posts. I was wondering if I should take advantage of this as a place to sell text links.

Would this be a good idea? Anyone who reads the article would see the link.

Given than my permanent footer links are $15, would $100 or $10/month be a fair asking price? It may seem a little steep, but there is at least one article every other day. That's at least 175 backlinks per year.

I'm definitely not advertising, I just curious whether this would be a good idea.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It sounds like a great idea Agent, one thing to be careful of is that the link ads are not disruptive to your visitors and their enjoyment of your content. Also Google, don't approve of sites that sell text links, so if you are doing it you might want to include no-follow tags in those text links.

$100 for a permanent link sounds like good value, if you are posting regularly and are committed to maintaining your blog over the long term. You might even be able to get more for them.

3. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, you can do it, and you are actually just "assume" that you will get the buyer. However, before you can get the "link buyer", you gotta spend your time on developing your blog to get traffic or PR

4. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's true. I think agentmanningctu has already shown his commitment to doing so when he mentioned posting at least one article every other day already. :)

I think it's a good idea too, agentmanningctu. $100 sounds very reasonable to me and I think you could get more, given that you'd have 175 backlinks from the start. Even $10 a month sounds very cheap.

I would go with a monthly option for the simple reason that if you ever decided to sell your blog or close it, you wouldn't have someone shouting that they thought their links would be there for eternity for their hundred bucks. With monthly, you could just give them notice a month ahead of time on major changes.

What's your blog's PR?

5. agentmanningctu

agentmanningctu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think I started it up right after the last PR update, so it comes up as NA.

I'm also horrible with SEO, so that could be a reason.

6. Daedorax

Daedorax
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As everyone else has said I think it would be a great investment on your part, because it should pan out great for you in the long run, but at the end of the day it is all up to you