Worst Website you Have Seen?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Fergal, May 3, 2011.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

What's the worst website you have ever seen?

2. spartan

spartan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For me this week it has to be www.thebeardiet.com/ i did a background check into the SEO applied to this site as well and it just makes me wanna cry!

3. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Given the money invested and its position on the web (e.g. it's not a cheap site or a quickly thrown together spam site), I'd have to suggest BOI business banking is right up there with the worst of 'em.

It's the only site I still need to use IE to access, even then it's horrid to navigate.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Not exactly pleasing on the eye is it :)

You should be ashamed of that site Paul, after all you do own it :)
    (For anyone who doesn't live in Ireland, the Irish State has become the majority owner of most Irish banks as a result of the bail outs they required during our current financial crisis!)

I don't like AIB's online banking site either, every time I log in and look at my balance it is far too low!

5. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Other than having the same problem myself, the site itself (at least for personal banking, I've not had a business account there) is actually pretty good. I'm not a fan of the code card thingy for authorisation, but at least the site is usable (relatively speaking).

BOI personal banking isn't too bad (again, relatively speaking here - all Irish online banking is terribly poor imho - a huge gap in the market there if someone were to step up their game), but the business banking is shocking. It really is the most awkward and unintuitive site I've ever had the displeasure to use (luckily the staff in my local branch are a pleasure to deal with, so I'll grin and bare it for the time being).

6. William King

William King
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Not specifically but I hate the squeezed pages meant to make sales. It is very hard to believe that people are making huge sales from squeezed pages

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Yes I agree, in fairness to AIB their personal online banking is fine, it is reasonably user friendly and I can generally get the info I need very quickly.

I agree with you there William King, those long sales pages really annoy me and I've never purchased a product or service from one of them. However, given the popularity of that format, it is obviously working for some online marketers.

8. spartan

spartan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

GUYS! you wont believe but one of my client referred my company to the own of the bear diet website! not only has he given us the go ahead to re design his site but he as enlisted us to design another major website worth thousands! unfortunately i can elaborate any further due to a conventionality agreement, but il be sure to tell you guys when the site is live, would be great to hear your feedback

9. mr.hazey

mr.hazey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There was a forum call 21st century forums the index page took 10 minutes to scroll to the bottom, the owner was oblivious as to why no one would sign up and when prompted in replies he would get all offended but it was truely the worse forum ever!

10. Casey

Casey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Haha Fergal, yes, there is a major issue with Online Banking, they have to do something about the balance!

And also, I agree to William King. These so-called "squeeze pages" are so 1995 to me. The design, the big red headlines, the text... horror.

11. D

D
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

http://httpssitesgooglecom.messageforums.net/

I saw this being advertised on forumpromotion, i know he is new to the whole website thing but it is by far the worst i have seen. Every part of the forums setup, design, images and everything about it is just.. well take a look :p

12. Grumpy

Grumpy
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Personally I still feel that the eBay website design is nothing special and that the site is not very user-friendly. Obviously the site is a huge success so I presume my opinion is very much a minority one.

14. Dan

Dan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

www.webpagesthatsuck.com

Has a collect of awful websites, although having said - that website itself is pretty bad too.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'd have to agree with that, it's not exactly easy to navigate :) I wonder does any deliberately try to get listed on sites like that in order to increase their traffic.

16. Grumpy

Grumpy
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

Well I much prefer the eBay site design now to what it was 10 years or so ago. You're right though - The site is not designed exceptionally well. It's hard to navigate in older browsers as Javascript is not automatically enabled in old browser versions, and eBay is full of Javascript... Don't worry, you're definitely not in the minority. ;) The only reason eBay is popular is because it managed to get a big, active userbase in it's first year or two of business, when websites were all poorly designed. Actually, back 10 years ago, I bet a lot of people would've said that eBay was fantastically designed, because the general expectations were much lower. :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good point Grumpy, it's not easy to compete with eBay, it's where all the buyers and sellers are. Sellers won't pay to list on a new auction site because all the buyers are on eBay, and buyers won't visit a new auction site because there are far more products and services for sale on eBay.

Anyone else seen a really bad site?

18. essleweb

essleweb
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I did not see any worst website.
    logoian.com

19. whaturmuva

whaturmuva
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't have a link to provide but I have seen many so called "professional" local businesses that have websites that just do not function. They have a lot of links but none of the connect to anything. I have even seen some with no contact information because the "Contact us" link was not functional.

20. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse