Worldwide Distributorship - What's the best approach?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by JeffreyTee, Jul 21, 2010.

1. JeffreyTee

JeffreyTee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi fellow forummers,

I would like to get some fellow feedback as I am tasked with trying to come up with a campaign to market my company's products.

My company manufactures air to water makers and we are based out of Singapore, as a subsidiary to an Australian company.

Being a relatively new technology, this means higher entry pricing and gaining market acceptance is somewhat more difficult for our products.

To deal with that, we have re-categorized our products to fulfil different segments, but the main issue is being able reach out to interested business owners willing to invest and buy our products and ideas.

We are now starting to market ourselves more aggressively so I would like to know what is the more effective medium given limited budget.

We are already working on the following:
    1) Revamping website to be more SEO friendly
    2) Building off-site links and listings
    3) Starting an Adwords campaign
    4) Reviewing our USP (Unique Selling Points) of our products

Is there any business network which I should consider joining other than this fantastic forum? :)

Looking forward to the feedback.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum JeffreyTee, thanks for joining.

I'm not familiar with "air to water makers", do they produce water from the air? What are their practical applications, e.g. do they produce water for industrial use, home use and / or for drinking?

What kind of companies would purchase your products and how will they be seeking to benefit from them?

Other online networks that you should consider joining are LinkedIn and Twitter.

If you can please post back with a little more info, we will give you more specific suggestions.

3. JeffreyTee

JeffreyTee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Fergal,

Thanks for replying so soon!

Apologies for not giving a run-down on our machines.

Our air water makers harvest moisture by super condensing the water vapor present in the air (reflected as humidity), then the condensate is filtered and sterilised before consumption.

The applications are meant mainly for human consumption as costs of electricity to power our machines means its a higher cost per liter of water compared against municipal supply.

We're looking at mining companies, remote site management companies, military, disaster and relief organisations. The key advantages to them is the reduced logistical concerns and possible cost savings of replenishing drinking water supplies but being a small team, it is relatively difficult to reach them without local presence. Hence we would rather seek out distributors and offer attractive margins for them to market our products.

Do you think we should approach a business broker whom is willing to work with us? Any recommendations and experience with them? We had several parties 'interested' in brokering deals, but ended up most of them wanted to charge ridiculous retainer fees without even a commitment of a deal.

By the way, my company is AirQua International at airqua.com.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

JeffreyTee that certainly sounds like a very innovative product. I'm not sure that you would need a business brokerage to do deals with agents and distributors. If it was me, I'd spend some time on the Internet searching for relevant agents and distributors. I would then contact them and ask them if they are interested in carrying the product. If they are not interested ask them if they know anyone who might be. I know it sounds like a very simplistic approach, but it's amazing how much you can learn just by picking up the phone and speaking to potential partners and customers.

Is that an approach you have tried? Do you feel it could it work for you?