World's top 10 brands

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by scifi, Sep 13, 2009.

1. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Brands & Brand Value are two most sought after in today's corporate world....Branding in one way is the foundation of marketing & is inseparable from business strategy of any corporate house of organization....Lets have a look at the TOP 10 BRANDS in today's WORLD.....Any guess for the first Position.:D:rolleyes:.!!!
    HINT-> YOU may all love it..!!!!:p

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Interesting list, I guessed the first one right but was a little surprised by some of the others. I know Intel is a huge brand, but I was a little surprised to see them in the top 10. Also, everyone is on Twitter and Facebook these days, and I expected at least one of them to make the top 10.

3. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

All the 10 company is well-known. I'm surprise when not seeing all the top earning company like Mobil , Chevron, Wal-mart are no in the listed and too many (4 out of ten) are picked from IT and computer related line

4. pakidesigner

pakidesigner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i also seldom see any advertisement of wall mart and such companies because they dont need any advertisement they made a name and that name sells now.

5. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think Brand Is more than just a name & logo...It has also other characteristics associated with it like TOM(Top of Mind), Brand Recognition, Brand Image , Brand Value etc. No doubt companies like Walmart, Facebook, Twitter, Mobil etc. are widely known and instantly popular but still they are not known most of the population of the world....

Eg. An Illiterate child or person might not be knowing about Twitter or Walmart but they must be surely familiar with Coca-Cola.
    The whole purpose of this example is to create an awareness that brands can be global, regional, national etc. with a powerful & influential mass appeal.....:)

6. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You got the point. However, if this is the guide, then GE will definately out from the list. Not really sure how they select the "Top 10"

7. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Why don't you recognize GE as a Brand???? Consider following points about GE...Remember I mentioned about TOM, Brand image, equity, Brand appeal etc...
    1-multinational American technology and services conglomerate
    2-In 2009, Forbes ranked GE as the world's largest company.
    3-The company has 323,000 employees around the world.
    4-1890, Thomas Edison had brought together several of his business interests under one corporation to form Edison General Electric.
    5-1896, General Electric was one of the original 12 companies listed on the newly-formed Dow Jones Industrial Average and still remains after 113 years, the only one remaining on the Dow (though it has not continuously been in the DOW index).

Do you still had doubt over GE brand mate???The saga of GE Brand is very long..!!!:)

8. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No doubt GE is popular but according to your previous post
    Then, i cant see any reason that GE is the top 10 but Mobil is out

9. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

that was an example to quote that brands can be created at regional, local, national & global level too.....The same has been written below the eg. as you might have read it...

For eg. Walmart is famous in America but there is no Walmart in India..so many people don't recognize Walmart...BUt GE is there in India.. I think by now you must have got the point behind my post.....

10. Thador

Thador
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I was surprised, because I can't see Mercedes on the list. Besides, I didn't expect to see Toyota between World's top 10 brands. Toyota cars are great, but I prefer German cars, especially Mercedes. Anyway, it's just my opinion

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Many of those top 10 brands do a lot of advertising in order to maintain their market dominance. Examples would include Coca Cola and Intel.

Mercedes is a quality car that targets the higher end of the market. It doesn't have anything like the sales volume of Toyota, which is more of a mass market brand.

12. kiatsiang

kiatsiang
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Personally i think the top 10 brands is not useful to all, as some of the brands doesn't mean anything to me, as i have never heard about it. I will prefer to read about top 10 brands in particular country, and when i am that country, i knows which company to looks for.

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum kiatsiang and thanks for posting. Have you considered that you might learn from them or be inspired and motivated by their marketing ideas and worldwide success?

14. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree that "Toyota" is more "branded" or "well-known" than Mercedes because of the volume. Other than the volume, Toyota Production System is another factor which make Toyota become "branded". Toyota Production System (TPS) also called as Lean, this make Toyota able to produce good quality car with low cost.

By the way, i still cant accepted that GE was in the list but Mobil dont. The reason is GE not advertise more than Mobil, and they dont make more money than mobil, and more people know mobil than GE. Even Marlboro and Pepsi are more branded than GE.

15. kiatsiang

kiatsiang
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, Fergal, i would always like to learn for how a group or persoanl success story. I can learn something news on how they make it and may be get my own idea of making my own success. As for the brand, i am saying that i prefer for those survey on top brand in particular region or country, as some of the brand listed like GE, has never having any branches in my country, it means nothing to me.

16. kutuhiphop

kutuhiphop
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i read the altricle already..

quite shock Coca Cola is the number one...

and Toyota????

17. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The title of the article is "World's top 10 brands" perhaps GE has a stronger brand internationally than Mobil. GE would definitely be much better known in Ireland. I just visited the Mobil Ireland website and it looks very poor. Mobil is has a large stake in the Esso brand in Ireland, which would be much better known here.

18. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have read an article where it was mentioned an interesting thing about Branding "Branding is deeply anchored in psycho-sociology, it takes into account both tangible & intangible attributes ...eg. functional & emotional benefits. Therefore, those attributes compose the beliefs that the brand's audience recalls when they think about the brand in its context....In short...branding is the blend of art & science that manages associations between a brand and memories in the mind of brand's audience....!!!!"...

Different people can have different view on TOP 10 global brand's list...but the fact is that you never know what is the appeal of the brand cumulatively on the global basis...It may appear that a brand can have more local influence but the might not be necessary that the same may be situation on global perspective tooo....Company's strategy keep on changing from time to time and region to region...:)

19. Kibby

Kibby
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Lol as I was looking through the top ten I saw all the popular brands but when I got to number 9 I thought to myself 'Why isn't google in the top 10?' but then I went to the number 10 spot and their it was Google. Also great post I never knew GE would be number 4 but hey I guess now I know.

20. prospect565

prospect565
    uix_expand uix_collapse

all these brands are like the best but they really cost too much and it wont be favourable for buying alot of there products so i wud suggest to go for the medium priced products whch is really cool...