Workstreamer - business intelligence

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Kay, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I was reading today about this site, Workstreamer.

What it does is let you keep track of anything that's going on with companies of your choice and collates what's being said about them online, whether it be via Twitter, LinkedIn, blogs, new releases and more. I can see this being a valuable way not to just keep an ear to the ground about your own business but to keep an eye on the competition. It would also be useful for keeping up with companies you've purchased stock in or if you're considering a buy. Workstreamer is free.

[YOUTUBE]K-ECLgy8dt4[/YOUTUBE]

http://www.workstreamer.com/

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Looks like a useful application. I wonder how it will compare with the excellent service provided by Google Alerts, which I use to notify of updates on a number of names and phrases, some daily and some weekly.

3. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I used to use Google Alerts all the time when I was following stocks or topics I was covering, Fergal. Now you mention it the idea works in a similar way.

The one advantage I do see of Workstream is the Workstream Pulse, that includes a smaller list what they consider the most important items that have come up. With Google Alerts I found you had to sort the wheat from the chaff if you chose to expand your options beyond just the News. The comprehensive one was too unwieldy for my tastes. I think with Workstream's layout you could tell more at a glance than you could with the Google Alerts emails. Maybe, maybe not. :)

4. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Kay have you tried Google reader? Rather than alerts and all the general stuff you get it lets you subscribe to specific feeds

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Tecknowoman for me the difference between Alerts and Reader is that Google Alerts, alerts you to new mentions of a particular term anywhere on the web, i.e. not just in the feeds you subscribe to.

6. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm not sure why I've never taken to google reader, but something about it that has just never appealed to me. I personally use feedly as my RSS reader and find the customisation available ideal.

In terms of 'alert' services, I use a mixture of them and always find the results to be a little hit and miss, even with google alerts which is probably the best of them (tends to miss quite a few that manage to get picked up by other tools, who in turn miss plenty picked up by alerts). Always good to have an extra tool to consider, so thanks for that Kay.

7. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nope, I haven't and thanks for the suggestion but I'll tell you this: I'm loving Feedly, a Firefox add-on for RSS feeds. I see Paul mentioned that too. It lays them out magazine style. I'm more visual than anything and I think that's why it appeals more to me than other RSS feed readers I've used. I've only had it about a month now and it's the only thing that's holding me back from switching from Firefox right now. I'm finding FF's been very slow since the latest update came out.

As Fergal said, Google Alerts can tip you off right away via an email notification at the mention of whatever you set it up for. I know a lot of authors for example. They'll set up a Google Alert with their name or book title in it, so no matter where they get mentioned online, they know about it fast.

And you're welcome Paul. Glad you found it useful. :)