Working with other design company..

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by 50Cent, Sep 30, 2010.

1. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am now planning to work with others small company in just helping them to design logo and t-shirt design. Do you guys think it is good?

Because i think that i can't get my own client right now, why not working with others at least i have some commission or some money to earn and along the way i can gain better experiences.

Do you guys think with my currently skills am i able to work with other people? I have approach one small company on working with them.. now waiting for their reply.

2. VVhite_Angel

VVhite_Angel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi
    This can be possible, companies in France used to have some freelance if their needs are high.
    But the portfolio is important (I see your website have been suspended).

Some freelancer contact me twice time a week, but at the moment i got the possibility to take care of all the the work people ask to me.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

50Cent if you are not getting work yourself, working for someone else would be a good way to go. It would get you some experience and help you to build your portfolio. As VVhite_Angel mentioned it might be difficult to obtain paid work, when you haven't developed your own portfolio yet.

Another option you could consider is entering logo design contests. This will give you a good feel for what it's like to design logos and other graphics to meet client requirements. You will also acquire a knowledge of what clients are looking for, as you see which entrants are winning the contests. If you don't win a contest yourself you should contact the person posting the contest and ask them for some feedback as to why you didn't win and for suggestions as to how you could improve your design work.

Something else you could consider is doing some free design work. Similar to entering contests, this will give you lots of experience of designing to meet client requirements and it will help you to build your portfolio.

Keep working at it, maintain your enthusiasm and you will get there eventually.

4. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah the server got some problem.. could not access to the main site also..

5. VVhite_Angel

VVhite_Angel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

But as a freelancer the most important : Portfolio.
    The most differents styles, creations you have, the more companies you can attract.

Because majority view your creations and just ... after ... contact you.

6. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's good for you 50cent. You will definitely learn something new when you work with other persons.
    Plus, you can hone your skills with their help. Ask for advices and you will definitely be a better designer.

Besides, this could add to your working experiences on your portfolio.
    Hoping you the best:thumbsup:

7. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am looking for company now..

8. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's an excellent suggestion. Even if you don't enter many of the contests, simply spending some time on 99designs or deviant art will help give you a better idea of what's expected and the type of competition you're up against.

If you can find a company to work along with, brilliant. But it's a very competitive market so keep your head up if you don't have much/any success. You're still very early in your career and your skills will improve and develop all the time.

9. VVhite_Angel

VVhite_Angel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One reason i've give up logo design contest on some website (12 designer or like) : waste of time ...

Prefer invest for free on some project, that could give me others things later when people show (website, or graphics by ... url url url ...)

10. Jahan Choudhry

Jahan Choudhry
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Everybody else has pretty much said what you need to do 50cent.

It is as simple and logical as computer programming.

Step 1: Find a company which you can work with to develope your experience and expertise.

Step 2: If Step 1 is not possible enter competitions or work for free to build your portfolio.

Step 3: If neither of that is possible create your own blog and youtube video where you highlight the different designs you have created, give advice to other aspiring designers and elicit people's reactions on what they think.

You can network this way.

Good luck!

11. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I thought you have already contacted a company?
    Anyways, why not enter as an apprentice on a professional graphic designer. He can be your friend or a relative.
    By doing so, you'll definitely learn some new stuffs regarding how the business is doing.

12. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah, The person in charge of the company is still reviewing my designs. Still waiting for his reply.

13. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Wishing you the best of luck on your application.

14. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks GekiDan.

I have joined contest at 99designs but mostly are bad..

15. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Don't feel so bad. It's normal to lose on a contest.
    Just remember: "Try and try and try until you succeed!"

16. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

it should be helpful to gain info to what they do and for yourself too. you'll gain experience as well.

17. realitybites.in

realitybites.in
    uix_expand uix_collapse

@50Cent
    Go and work with others this will get experience and even increase's your skill's
    You even get many other thing Experience which cannot be said

it is ok if they pay you less compere to industry standard

18. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I was given a chance to help them design the logo after they re-designed the whole website. He say if he is happy with it, he will use it and list me as one of the partner.

19. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sounds like a good opportunity to get some experience, to build your portfolio and to get some publicity for your services. Good luck with it 50Cent, these are the kinds of opportunities you need at this time. Even if he decides not to use your logo, you will have learnt something from the process and will do it a little better next time round.

20. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Can i post the design concept here? Or must i post it at the reviews section?