Working for equity, having major disagreements with owners

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Evan, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Evan

uix_expand uix_collapse

Nov 9, 2011
    Hello, I'm a web developer who has a 1/3 ownership stake in a business that is developing web-based productivity software. Two other individuals each have a 1/3 share (they're business people / investors). I am working for equity alone but the other owners have unrealistic expectations about development timelines. I also have a full-time job that typically requires more than 40 hours a week, leaving only weekends to work on the project. The other owners knew this when I signed on, but they keep pushing me to meet unrealistic deadlines. They are not software developers and do not understand the complexity involved. I simply cannot work 60-70 hours per week to meet their deadlines.

I have all the signed paperwork showing that I'm a 1/3 owner. So what happens if our disagreements become so tense that I'm no longer willing to work on the project? If I were to stop work completely, what are the repercussions?

If they have to pay another developer to finish the work, and the project becomes a financial success, how can I count on accurate accounting of profit (and my share of it)?

What are some ways that they could try to push me out of the partnership or otherwise seek retribution for my unwillingness to cooperate with their unrealistic expectations?

I've never taken on an equity-only project before because I was worried about things like this. It's much more complicated than simply working for a fee.