Work Orders - Digital?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by hcted, Aug 15, 2010.

1. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am thinking about getting my business going in the right way. Whilst we have be around for more than a month, any big changes would not affect us much at all.

So I was thinking that all work orders be digital for now on. All contracts, Order Confirm Sheets, and Official Papers would be on paper and digital.

But all work orders would be filled in via the computer, saved to their sites individual file and backed up on our other server. Would this be a good idea?

2. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it is a great idea. This will give the customer a kind of secure that all their important information are kept properly.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

hcted it would be a good idea if it makes your company more efficient and helps you to serve your clients better. When implementing a system like that, it's important to ensure that it doesn't make things more difficult for your clients or make it more difficult for them to do business with you. It's important that you are as user-friendly as possible and that you don't inconvenience your clients in any way.

4. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm thinking about your contracts. Since it's going to be digital, how would your clients sign it?
    Remember, not all people have scanners or tablets that they could use to sign a digital contract.

5. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

With regards to anything that you require a signature or agreement on you should try something like echosign. It is an online application where you build a copy of your terms and conditions and contracts into the system and everything else is taken care of digitally.

The customer signs digitally via their system and it is legally binding. They would receive an email immediately and in theory could sign immediately meaning a contract could be done and stored online for both parties to view at any time within a matter of minutes.

They offer a free service as a test. A friend uses it and loves it and I have used the test system and will be signing up for the full system once my business requires it.

(I have no affiliation with them in anyway)

6. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I said "All contracts, Order Confirm Sheets, and Official Papers would be on paper and digital."

Those would be printed out, and have a PDF on the computer.

7. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As long as you have the digital copies backed up offsite somewhere in case there's a disaster in the office, I see no reason not to.

I don't think you would need paper and digital when you can use something like echosign that seanstevens suggested. Is that not unnecessary duplication?

8. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

We backup all files (including digitial files) to:
    - Our Server
    - A external hard drive taken out of office

That is interesting, I will look into echosign (sorry, I must have missed your post :\) that may be great for what I am doing.

We would do both for many reasons, we would have a original written copy to have and read over when computers are not accesible. Also, contracts are something we would bring personally to the person (local) so having the paper copy is neccesary.