Work Life Balance - How do you do it?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Bwendo, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Bwendo

Bwendo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How do you maintain your work life balance.

We all know IT is a 24 hour 7 Day a week job.

So how do you keep balance between outdoor life, exercise and health versus working hard and making money?

2. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Are you having problems with balancing your work life? Well I only work 8 hours / 5 days a week but when I go home I make sure that my work and my personal life is detached from each other.

You can also check out some tips here.

3. PS9

PS9
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I just keep it separate. I have different computers, phones, etc. for work and personal use. If it's not work hours then the work systems are off.

What some people consider a dire emergency like a fire sweeps through our building, I don't... I'll deal with it in the morning when I get in because really... what am I going to do if you call me at 8pm? I'm not a fire fighter so I'm going to stand there and watch the place burn like everyone else. The insurance company is closed so I can't reach them anyway.

IMO it's only a 24 hour job if you make it one. If people know that after hours you won't be available then they'll either present the issue in the morning or go to someone else.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Are you self employed Bwendo, or do you work for someone else?

I try to set boundaries, e.g. I won't work after a certain time at night and I will only do the bare essentials on a Sunday. I also have an exercise program that I stick to religiously. Both of those disciplines help to prevent me from working excessively.