Work at Home Bookkeeper & Accountant *that's my goal anyway*

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Texas, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Texas

Texas
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello,
    I have been a stay at home mom for 11 years with periods of work scattered throughout. Nothing worth mentioning really. I have always wanted to be a business owner. I have my bachelors degree in business management, graduated in '06. I have not furthered my education past that for many reasons but I am ready now to head in a very specific direction!!
    A part-time bookkeeping, secretary, office manager job landed in my lap recently and I am loving it!! The owner of this small business, her finances are a disaster!! She is so busy running her business, creating and making the sales and staying on track with her home life that the bookkeeping has been slack for several years now. I am so glad she hired me, and she has said over and over again how glad she is to have me. At this time I am not an expert in bookkeeping but that is my goal!!
    I want to become an accountant and provide accounting and bookkeeping help to small businesses. I believe this to be a place that many small businesses need affordable assistance in. My goal will be to provide as much work for them from home and to actually bid for their account.

• I would LOVE to hear learn from experienced bookkeepers & accountants and get their thoughts & ideas.
    • I would LOVE to hear from business owners of EVERY kind to hear what their needs are as I am still in my planning & education phase of this goal.
    • What do small businesses currently pay for accounting and bookkeeping servies? Or what can your small business afford?
    • Are there any concerns with home based bookkeeping that business owners have?
    • Is there one software that works across the board for businesses or do bookkeepers learn/keep various software to manage different businesses?
    • What certifications, licenses, or other degrees are recommended for accountants or bookkeepers
    • What schools/training programs do you recommend? Does online training work just as well as local classes?
    • What expenses did you encur to become an accountant or bookkeeper?

I have struggled and searched for a long time trying to determine the best area I can use my skills, and not just waste my time with a fruitless dream. This is something I feel like I can excel at. In the beginning stages I have more questions than answers and more excitment than plan. But I'm working on my plan right now I just wish I had someone with experience to listen to my ideas and provide advice based on experience.
    I am glad I found thsi forum and hope to learn from business owners of all kind.

Thank you

2. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Check this out >>>>> rc.lsuc.on.ca/pdf/practiceGuides/bookkeepingGuide.pdf

It's an ebook about the basic guides and tips on bookkeeping. :)

3. ThirdSEO

ThirdSEO
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Congratulations on graduating!

Surprisingly, there's a really large demand for services like yours in the small business market, especially if you have a degree and experience! My dad owns his own CPA firm in Texas and would surely hire someone like you to help with keeping things in order. You're going to have to capitalize on the fact that you're NOT a chain supplie like H&R Block and really push a personal experience with your customers. Really get to know them and form relationships with them and you'll end up getting very loyal customers as well as word of mouth referrals, it's a win-win situation.

Personally, I'm currently attending a university and I've found that online classes are much more effective than in-person classes. Online courses force you to learn the material because they expect you to read the book on your own and really grasp the material before you take your online exams. In-person classes are a little more lax and don't require such intense learning, which is an advantage for "slackers" that don't want to work harder than they have to and just want to show up to class for a participation grade.

The CPA exam is one of the hardest professional exams to take, but it sounds like you're really motivated and you enjoy what you're doing so you might be able to pull it off. The accounting and bookkeeping field is expected to grow much faster than other industries in the next few years, and you're already ahead of the game because you have your degree and experience which puts you way ahead of all the current students taking classes that count towards their accounting major. I know that my dad is always looking for new CPAs to add to his firm, so if you could pass the CPA exam you'd be well on your way to success.

Your dream is far from fruitless, so don't say that. To be completely honest, I believe in you based on what you've said in your post. Follow your heart and pursue this dream no matter what if you enjoy doing it, it will give you a much happier life. Welcome to the forum, and I'd be glad to help answer any other questions you may have.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Everyone is going to need bookkeepers and accountants for a long, long time. My son is in college right now (a sophomore) and hopes that he can get into accounting.

Your undergraduate degree is business management is a good first step but you really need to fully understand accounting if you want to launch that as a career.

Although online training may be fine for being a bookkeeper, or even a staff accountant, if you want to ever be a CPA you need to carefully research the requirements in your own state. For example, to be an Illinois CPA, you must not only have an undergraduate degree, you need at least 150 semester credit hours, which is the equivalent of 5 years if you earn a typical 15 credit hours per semester. There are a number of additional rules, including a minimum of 24 semester credit hours in accounting (proposed to go up to 30 hours in 2013).

As I said, each state is different, so think about the rules early on if you want to earn a CPA certificate.

On the other hand, most small businesses can do fine with a good bookkeeper or accountant. Most small businesses do not require audited financial statements (that can only be certified by a CPA). If you are happy being a bookkeeper/accountant with your own business, the time and expense of trying to gain a CPA license may not be worthwhile. My mother did very well being a bookkeeper, working first for a small accounting firm (the owner was not a CPA) and later for the local city. In her case, having the credentials of a CPA would not have likely made any difference.

• Like Like x 1