Wordpress

Discussion in 'Wordpress' started by RestOwner, May 21, 2010.

1. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This may be a silly question, but I was just wondering why the free wordpress platform does not allow you to post any adsense or affiliated content related on your blog? I think they do allow it on the wordpress.org platform but you have to pay up. If blogger allows it, why not them?

2. agriya

agriya
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Because too many spammers will join the site and create crappy blogs. They don't have the resources of Google to constantly delete accounts. Wordpress is strictly for non-commercial, non-promotional uses.

They will ban your account if you are using it to promote other sites. They only want people that are going to create relevant / personal blogs.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You are right in that you can download the WordPress blog script from wordpress.org and then you are welcome to post ads on your blog. You will need to find either free or paid hosting for your blog and many hosts will actually enable you to install WordPress on your site, with just a free clicks from your hosting control panel.

By the way, WordPress.org is free and you don't have to pay to download or use the WordPress software.

4. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

ahhhh see I didn't know that. thanks!

thanks Fergal... I really like wordpress, it drives in more traffic than blogger does. but I just always wondered why blogger is more flexible in content. but, I got my answer above.

5. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The software doesn't dictate the amount of traffic you get. Its how you apply your blog to search engines. I can think of numerous non-WP blogs that get quite some traffic over many others in their niche. Google Webmaster Blogs (Blogger) for example, and Seth Godin's Blog (TypePad).

6. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

that's a good point!

7. junaid

junaid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you are thinking of creating a forum. Do not use WordPress.com use a self hosted blog. There are more advantages.

8. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

a self hosted blog like?

9. JamesD31

JamesD31
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, mine is still undergoing the template modifications and custom theme I am making it, but he means host it on a server not owned by WordPress, like this: http://www.fgdesigns.net/blog/

10. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

ohh ok I got it. :)

11. markuscastellino

markuscastellino
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The simple reason to your question is to avoid Spamming. As wordpress allows free blogs developments so it becomes very easy for spammers to go there make fake account and start earning money from it.

12. jakewidmer

jakewidmer
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Restowner, if you are wanting a nice blog, I agree with what the others are saying here. Self hosted is the way to go. You need to brand yourself and your company, not a blog website. Branding is important in marketing online.

13. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You'll also find that buyers looking for advertising space often states that the sites must be self-hosted on their own domain. It's a waste to spend time building your site on any platform that's not self-hosted IMHO. You never have ultimate control of it.

Free can be costly. Look at all the forums and groups that have went under that used the likes of MSN Groups and had been around years. Ning just recently announced they are shutting down their free groups so they can focus on the paying ones. If they want to stay, they need to pay, simple as that. If they can't, the plug's pulled mid June I think the date was.

14. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, Blogger is also a free blogging platform.
    It is hosted on Google but you can use your own domain in place of the xxxx.blogspot.com.