Wordpress.com is down and so are 10.2 Million Blogs

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by RestOwner, Jun 11, 2010.

1. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I fell a little sorry for WordPress.com, they provide an excellent free service and it is unfortunate that they receive negative publicity. This down time was outside of working hours and they appear to have worked very hard and smart, to get all the blogs up and running again.

I was surprised to see that TechCrunch are hosted on WordPress.com and even more so at how critical they were of the downtime. If you look at the comments in that post you will see that many of TC's readers were not impressed by their attitude and are complimentary of WordPress.com.

3. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, I couldn't agree more. The majority of comments were so negative towards wordpress. I mean, this type of technical errors happen all the time. I don't know if this is the first time for wordpress or not though. I happy with wordpress, I can say I wouldn't change it for another blog platform.

4. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Didn't TechCrunch have a go at them before and not so long ago either? I don't know what they're complaining about. Their uptime record is excellent. TechCrunch probably wants a discount on their VIP package or something.

Ah, just read the TechCrunch post in another tab as I was typing that. They are so rude! They didn't even add Matt's first name to the update part, did you catch that? Good to see the comments are telling them off like this guy.

Couldn't agree more. They could get their own staff and servers and self-host I'm sure. More seem to be siding with Wordpress than them now. TechCrunch is doing themselves more damage with this pouting than they are Wordpress. If I was Matt Mullenweg I don't know if I could have been as civil as he was in his comment. He should dump THEIR butts.

5. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

But isn't TechCrunch a top earning site? Why wouldn't they purchase their own hosting plan if they can purchase a VIP account?
    Besides, it's just normal for a site that's hosting millions of blogs to have that kind of problem.

If you are put in place of the server and you are holding over a thousand, or just a hundred of apples, wouldn't you suffer because of it's weight? Same goes with Wordpress, they need something to keep the site in tip top shape.

Besides, hosted free on Wordpress is a big blessing. If they don't want this to happen their own site, just get themselves a hosting plan.

6. TiaWood

TiaWood
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What's the status on this?

7. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Exactly! According to some of the comments other hosts have kicked them out. I can see why. Maybe nobody that could cope with their size wants to take them on board anymore . I think they're getting too big for their boots. They will end up losing subscribers if they keep the snotty attitude up.

There is no status. It was over and done with by the time TechCrunch reported it.

8. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Even though this happened to them. I really doubt that visitors will drastically decrease since they are giving quality tech news to it's readers. Most other tech blogs relies on them as their primary source of news.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

This blip may actually have helped WordPress.com. They got the blogs up very quickly and handled the situation extremely professionally - if I was running a large blog, I would be more inclined to use their services after seeing how professionally they handled this outage.

10. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Exactly! They had it fixed really quick which speaks very well of them. Kudos for wordpress.