BAF Review Win a Quality PHP Book from Business Advice Forum

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Fergal, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Larry Ullman, author of PHP for the Web: Visual QuickStart Guide (3rd Edition), has most kindly agreed to give a free copy of his book to one member of Business Advice Forum. This is a beginner's guide to PHP, so if you already have solid knowledge of PHP, you probably don't want this.

I previously purchased a copy of this book and I'd highly recommend it to anyone who wants to learn PHP. The book is ideal for beginners and provides excellent tutorials and examples to get you coding PHP web pages and applications.

For your chance to win this excellent book please reply to this thread to tell us how you would use this book and why you want to learn PHP. The winner will be chosen based on the most interesting reply and the judge's decision is final.

Shipping to the US is free. If you are outside of the US we will work something out.

Please reply to this thread on or before Sunday 16th Jan 2010 and we will announce the winner a few days after that.

2. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's a pretty cool give away. I really love to learn one but I think I better learn Graphic Design first.

3. clannny

clannny
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Amazing Fergal
    I've always love every single of your promotion as its always great & interesting
    If i do get a chance on this ebook, It will definity be a very useful tool for me as im using phpbb forum & modifying alot related to php also deciding to customized pages through php.

4. skyfire

skyfire
    uix_expand uix_collapse

that is one good book on php that i would like to have on my side. BAF always gets better and better when it comes to competitions and giveaway.

5. Keaton

Keaton
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks to Larry. :D

If I won the book and learnt PHP, I would use it to create scripts to go with my web designing. I'll also create and help other people make forum modifications. :)

6. sajjad.axe

sajjad.axe
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hi, i would definitely like to get the book

hi,

i would definitely like to get the book , this book will be very helpful to me as i am a freelance worker from last 2 years doing projects on HTML, CSS , and data entry.

u will be surprised to know i was actually planning to learn php and ASP from W3C site.As learning this will get me more projects for me, now i can only accept the HTML and CSS part ,

Ur book will definitely help me in learning php , more over the book is a beginners guide.

fergal what a time to place this contest thread, this will be really helpful to me .

thanks fergal.

#6 sajjad.axe, Jan 12, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  7. Andi21

Andi21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would like to win this book because I am very interesting in learning new knowledge about programming and learn php is an interesting thing because it can not used only for freetime, it can be used also for earning with it. And each pc and laptop user should it know.

8. cjay57

cjay57
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am currently trying to learn PHP so that I can create a database for animal rescuers in the US and Canada to have a centralized location to list and maintain data on animals currently in danger of being destroyed by shelters. Currently only facebook is being used but is completely insufficient for follow up and networking this type of thing. I cannot find anybody to volunteer to help me put us this database which would see probably hundreds of members so I must learn it myself. A beginners book would be very much appreciated.
    Cher

9. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As a small business owner and a new one at that I've spend the past few months with my head in books and magazines trying to learn as much as I can about the web, websites, development of sites, forums, graphics and marketing. PHP is so far something that I have not been able to get to grips with. It would be interesting to learn more about this language so that I would be able to work on developing my online presence in a more professional manner.

btw, a very kind gesture, thanks.

10. isambiz

isambiz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Isam would love to win this prize.

11. zxc3

zxc3
    uix_expand uix_collapse

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks to everyone who entered so far. We are still open to more entries.

Just to clarify that the contest is for a real paper based book, not an ebook.

13. livayahurd

livayahurd
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I prefer to create an opensource plugin for word press which will help to show ads to the visitors depending on their geographic location. I am sure it might be helpful to a good number of bloggers.

14. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

PHP is a widely used, general-purpose scripting language that was originally designed for web development to produce dynamic web pages. It's an advanced language.

The php book looks cool. Well, PHP is much more advanced than html. People use php because the codes cant be cracked easily as html.

15. alirex

alirex
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I love to learn php to help those who are in need. My services are as usual free for everyone. Knowledge is precious and its not good to sell it for few bucks. Its good to learn and share the knowledge to make others also learned.

16. johnthewebmaster

johnthewebmaster
    uix_expand uix_collapse

as you know im making a cms of my own..(see http://www.businessadviceforum.com/showthread.php?t=5935 if you dont remember!) but the asp.net on version 3.5 version has so far been in development.. i will need to learn php latest version 5.3 or better version 6 in a really solid way to make the php version too.. as by the time it rolls out in the open source community, php version 5.3 or 6 will be more in use than today's php version 5.2

but i think i must and i do actually put a + vote in favour of user "cjay57" as his animal rescue project is more of a noble cause than my innovative cms. so i think even if i win.. i will send him the copy of that book else the author of this book can decide and give both me and "cjay57" a copy each ;)

ya but i would like "cjay57" to make his software & coded script system to be freely available to all organisations around the planet(not just the US & CA areas) which are related to animal services including the the famous PETA(PEOPLE FOR ETHICAL TREATMENT OF ANIMALS).

Regards,
    JohnTheWebmaster

#16 johnthewebmaster, Jan 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  17. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thank you to everyone who entered the contest, there were a few strong entries and it was difficult to pick one. The winner chosen is seanstevens, Sean please PM me with the address to where you would like the book sent, so that I can pass it on to the author. Good luck with learning PHP.

18. bmk

bmk
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hay

i will use this book to learn PHP language and when i learn the language i will join some software firm where i would work as an internee and develop website and after 2 or 3 year s of making websites i will establish my own company

19. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi bmk, the contest is now over and the winner has been announced. Thanks for your interest. Should you wish to purchase the book, it is available from Amazon and from the author's site.