Will Video on demand be the big app in 2010?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by morsolutions, Dec 30, 2009.

1. morsolutions

morsolutions
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Will Video on demand go mainstream in 2010? Is this the end for terrestrial and Cable TV providers?

From enn.ie via ft.com

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I believe that it will be. A huge amount of music is already purchased via online download and I believe that the same will happen to video next year. With ever increasing bandwidth capacity its difficult to believe that the majority of movies will continue to be purchased or rented on DVD.

It's my opinion that we will also see the sale of a home entertainment system that will fulfil the role of TV, PC, gaming device, DVD player and stereo. There is no reason why consumers will not be able to download all their games, music, radio, TV and movies to their home PC / entertainment system for viewing on a large screen.

3. Keaton

Keaton
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This sounds like a really good move for Apple and the online TV market. I hope they will also do similar in the UK. I doubt that it will be the end of cable TV providers for a while though, because for example the older generation do not have iPhones and similar things because they do not know how to use them. However within 50 years or less it will defiantly be hard for them.

4. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

With the birth of HD, it might go along way.
    But since we are still on recession, people may find a hard time purchasing gadgets that they could use for this task, like iPhone, HDTVs and many more.

5. morsolutions

morsolutions
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Keaton and GekiDan.

Interesting I do think that even though the current older generation are not huge iPhone users they are growing PC users and one of the fastest growing users of Facebook, etc so I think once they understand that a HD TV can view YouTube and other Internet content they will not be too slow in coming to the party.

I guess it raises the question what content, services and features do they need to make it easy for them to adopt the technology?

6. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

iPhones are not that available in all countries and if it does available, most people can't afford to but that.

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It is indeed interesting to see how the older generation are taking to the web. Used correctly the web can open up new opportunities for older people, plus give them access to resources and a sense of connectedness / belonging that they otherwise risk losing, as they get older. Many colleges run computer & Internet courses for the older generation, also known as "Silver Surfers".

Maybe the Internet and You Tube can be integrated into TV's? This would allow easy access to streaming video, in the living room.

8. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for that GekiDan, I hadn't actually known that TV's were already including features for watching YouTube videos. This will be a threat to the cable and satellite companies. Some consumers will undoubtedly decide to use YouTube and other Internet sources for their TV viewing, as a lower cost alternative to paying a monthly subscription for paid TV.

Update - I just read an article about how Yahoo has announced their entry into the Internet TV market at CES (Consume Electronics Show).

Another service announced at CES is DivX TV.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L-oRhdn68gg&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L-oRhdn68gg&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

10. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

DivX TVs? That's really cool.
    But I'm wondering what's its difference with HD TVs?

11. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Like most innovative technology introductions I suspect that 3D TV will be very expensive when it first goes on sale. However, prices will fall as the technology advances and sales volumes increase. Within the next few years very many living rooms will have a 3D and Internet enabled TV. I've read that the prices of quality 3D glasses, suitable for home viewing will range between $100 and $200.

13. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Wow! $100-$200?:eek:
    That's far too very expensive.
    I think I'll just go for a flat screen tv than a 3D tv.
    Money needs to be saved for a more important things.