Will My Appereance Effect My clientele?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by fivestarpacheco, Apr 21, 2015.

1. fivestarpacheco

fivestarpacheco
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi guys,
    I'm looking to start an errand service mainly pointing towards senior citizens. Im 25 and a Good looking guy, but it just so happens i have a scar on the right side of my face about an inch long. I'm afraid of starting my business because of this reason. i feel as if my clientele will be intimidated and possibly back off. whats your opinion?

2. kitchie

kitchie
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't see any problem with that and besides, senior citizens may not be able to notice your scar.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Honestly I really wouldn't worry about it fivestarpacheco. If everyone let little things like that stop them from doing what they want, no one would ever get anything done. People have triumphed over much larger obstacles than that to create a successful business and you can too.

Good luck with it and welcome to Business Advice Forum!

4. M.Ehrmantraut

M.Ehrmantraut
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't see that causing any problems, it would be different if you had facial tattoos or something extreme like that but I wouldn't let your scar hold you back - just conduct yourself in a professional yet personable manner and things will go fine.

5. alastairbrian

alastairbrian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

According to me, it is your attitude towards the customers that can help you to capture your clients.

6. RTSteam

RTSteam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Indeed, appearances can affect your clientele but that doesn't mean that an inch long scar on your face would scare them away. Heck, it would be barely noticeable if you present yourself properly - neat clothes, neat look and proper attitude in facing clients. And you said for yourself that you are good looking, so you have nothing to worry about. The old ladies would surely love you.

7. MahaKarthi

MahaKarthi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I dont think a scar will matter. If you present yourself in a shoddy manner then you may have a problem. However, you cant help a scar and people wouldnt really mind it. Quit being so hard on yourself! Also, give people more credit, not everyone judges you just by looking at you.

8. fivestarpacheco

fivestarpacheco
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Wow all positive replies thanks guys! It definitely gives me the go to start my business.
    Do you think an elderly service would be profitable this day an age?

9. avillasage

avillasage
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I can't see something bad about the scar on your face, be professional and show your true goal about on your clients. Scars is not the big deal, the big deal is how can you handle the client situation.

10. ConvertiVid

ConvertiVid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

An inch long scar is not a big deal! You should be more worried about how you would act before your clientele than your scar. The only time you should worry about your scar is if your selling a beauty product or scar removal cream.

11. Kevin Peter

Kevin Peter
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

All I look out for is a fair deal. People do matter only when the offer is made and they dont back off what they spoke! Have the right attitude and am very sure you can carry it off very well.

12. navarromarillou

navarromarillou
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sometimes other clients scared to deal with the person have something wrong with the body of the person they want to deal with, but if you have a good look, and you can see in them that you have a good intention, nothing is impossible to choose you.

13. manishsqrt

manishsqrt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

People may give more attention to the scar on first meeting, but i don't think it will cause any trouble on professional ground.If your work and experience is good clients won't make it a reason to disapprove you.Just relax and focus on your work.

14. 60degreeDigital

60degreeDigital
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, presentation matter, it's your body language which would have an impact on your clientele not your scar or any other physical deformity.So, just be confident in making your point clear to others.
    Nobody would notice anything unless you make them too.

15. valariemorgan

valariemorgan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Heck, it would be barely noticeable if you present yourself properly - neat clothes, neat look and proper attitude in facing clients.

16. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I do think appearance matters, particularly where you are providing a personal service. If it is something like a scar that you can't control (as opposed to an unkempt appearance, which may indicate poor attention to detail), then it should not matter to most clients. As others have noted, you can minimize the effect by paying attention to those things you CAN control, such as your clothes, your haircut, your demeanor, your body language, etc... Focus on the positive!

17. fivestarpacheco

fivestarpacheco
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you!

#17 fivestarpacheco, Jun 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  18. Damien Lee

Damien Lee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you're young and good looking you have nothing to worry about. Unless, you generally look intimidating you shouldn't have a problem with your customers. Generally, good looking folks do very well with sales. I'm also easy on the eyes and that helped me with my retail businesses in the past. I hired two attractive ladies at one of my previously owned store and sales picked up by a whopping 40% - that's how the world rolls. May sound unfair to those who are not blessed with physical beauty but most folks prefer to purchase from those that look attractive.

19. Diane Lane

Diane Lane
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As long as you dress presentably and are pleasant, a scar shouldn't make a difference. If you are really concerned about it making a difference, you could try using a bit of cover up makeup on the scar. I would try it before covering up the scar, though, because you shouldn't have to feel that you're unacceptable with your scar visible.

20. m0n2k

m0n2k
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That shouldn't matter as long as you provide good service. It's not like you have a tattoo on your face or something, it's something from a accident. I'm pretty sure a lot of senior citizens have scars too. Once you get a lot of clientele and make good money, you can hire employees. Like I said with good service you should be okay.