Will Android become the dominant OS?

Discussion in 'Smartphones & Other Devices' started by Damien Lee, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Damien Lee

Damien Lee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Android has gone from strength to strength, it's now one of the most widely used platforms on the planet. When it was first announced I knew it would be successful. However, I could not fathom the overall level of acceptance it would eventually achieve.

Generally, Android is a good, lightweight and robust OS. It truly shines with game applications and there's a pretty good chance that it may even become dominant in this area. After all, Nintendo may be using it in their upcoming console, the 'NX'. While they've denied it as a mere rumor, this is typical of large manufacturers that want to keep a tight lid on their projects.

What are your thoughts on this, will Android become the dominant OS?

2. healingforce

healingforce
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, in my opinion Android is yet the dominant OS in the smartphones and tablets era. iOS is just crappy if we compare to them and also the development of the new apps can't be even compared between the two. It's far better Android also because of its open source idea and the fact that it has a wide community ready to help you out solving all types of problems.

3. tsubibo

tsubibo
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Yeah, the Android is the more dominant OS in phones and tablets. IMHO, it is not because iOS is not good. It is because the Android OS is readily available to all smart phone makers. How could a single company (apple) outsell multiple makers of Android phones (samsung, O+, Asus, Lenovo). Specially now that most computer makers are also trying to dip into the mobile market.

4. pwarbi

pwarbi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In my opinion android has already become the dominant OS, especially when it comes to mobile devices. Apple and iOS may have been the trail blazers but the android platform has developed so quickly in recent years that its blown Apple out of the water.

5. alirex

alirex
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Android is getting more software which usually we are using on Windows and Mac. So obvious if facilities will come to Android why do people leave it. I am afraid Windows will loose its customer if they will not do something light.

6. pwarbi

pwarbi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think Windows dominates the PC market as much as android dominates the mobile one, so while I do think that Microsoft will have to keep their eye on the ball and make sure they stay one step ahead of the opposition, I don't think they're going to be under much of a threat for a long time yet.

7. Damien Lee

Damien Lee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for your input everyone. It seems that there is a general consensus that Android is the top OS for mobile devices. Apple may have started out strong but many developers and users are seeing through the shortcomings of iOS. While Windows still enjoys significant market share on desktops, even this position may be challenged in the near future. Perhaps Android will make significant inroads within the desktop PC gaming market - stranger things have happened. ;)

8. NicCris

NicCris
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If Google can produce a version of Chrome OS which allows traditional apps to be written via the Android SDK, while maintaining its core principles then Linux could become the dominant laptop OS over Windows and OS X.

9. pwarbi

pwarbi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When it comes to desktop and laptop PC's I still think android will have a way to go but like you said, stranger things have happend. Apple MAC's still have large share of that market aswell, so android will be up against two well established products.

10. alirex

alirex
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Android is famous more in Asia, same time i read news that Firefox OS is getting famous in Africa. It will become Population war on OS .. lols

11. Corzhens

Corzhens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As of now, Android is the dominant because it is the OS that most phone manufacturers bundled in. My phone is a Samsung and it has an Android as part of the package. Likewise, my husband's phone is a Cherry Mobile (a locally distributed phone) with an Android. I still have to try Windowsphone although ios of iPhone is sleek and fast.... but expensive.

12. pwarbi

pwarbi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Apple products are always expense and to be honest I'm not sure why. You say that iOS is sleek and fast but it's no better than the OS on a Samsung's S6 EDGE for example.

iOS I becoming out dated now in my opinion and Apple need to completely overhaul it if it's going to carry on competing with the likes of android.