Why you need to have or be a Chief Innovation Officer

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Kay, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That was a question asked by Robert F. Brands, author of Robert’s Rules of Innovation: A 10-Step Program for Corporate Survival. Robert makes the case for having a Chief Innovation Officer, whose role is all about inspiring staff, encouraging the sharing of ideas, having the power to implement them and keeping the vision at the forefront of their minds. I think it's an interesting idea!

Article

Do you have someone that fits that description within your team? Or if you're working for yourself, could or do you take that role to heart and inspire yourself? Because I can see how the premise could be tailored to work for the self-employed and entrepreneurs as well. Find ways to be your own CIO! :)

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

An interesting concept. Maybe we should have one here on BAF? What do you think that role would specifically involve?

3. JOEY BONNER

JOEY BONNER
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I like the CIO abbreviation itself. Somehow, it's closer to CEO and even to SEO. But I am not quite sure if companies would be willing for such since CIO is somewhat the same with VP for ___ and VP for ___ OR (Group) Team Leader, etc. From the very start, before any promotion of a staff/member from bottom to become one of the top ranking official of a company, they have had undergone various trainings and challenges and that is why they were entrusted to take higher roles. I still believe in business ethics standards, performance standards and regular team building activities.

4. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey, I like that idea even more. :) I was thinking it could just as easily have been called a Chief Inspiration Officer.I can't think about specifics right now, sorry. I'll try come back to you on that.

I believe in them too. Not every VP however has worked their way up through the ranks. Often they're headhunted from other companies because their drive and skills are recognized from afar. Of course they're going to want a CIO that's not reckless and can adhere to those standards too. Innovation can live in harmony with that, can't it?

Don't even the VP's that come up through the ranks get there because they showed creativity and an ability to think outside the box too? If you've got the smarts to do it yourself and encourage others to thrive, it shouldn't matter if you've been with the company twenty years or twenty days. Sure, the VP's may not like the intrusion of the new kid on the block but they should look at the bigger picture. What the CIO would bring to the table is freshness and enthusiasm, not just for his own little VP kingdom, but ideas, motivation and thoughts that would be for the good of the whole company, put forward by members of the company and still in line with the company vision. Because his job would be to draw that creative force out of all the willing employees while ensuring they understand where the company's headed today and tomorrow, the employees would feel more appreciated and recognized for their contributions. Happy employees equals happy managers and even happier accountants because when workers take a pride in their job, they're more productive.

That's my take on it. :)

5. Adam_Ly1983

Adam_Ly1983
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes I agree Fergal. He or She must always see to it that we are all happy here in BAF and must be a middleman for continuous and fast improvements. I guess one already given motivation here is the contest but with the help of the CIO, it's more than that, perhaps CIO can induce more participation and make us all proud that we are here in BAF.

6. JOEY BONNER

JOEY BONNER
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's a good a idea Adam! I can also invite my friends to join BAF. Happy to be here!