Why you may lose friends on your road to success

Discussion in 'Articles & Tutorials' started by Frankers, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Frankers

Frankers
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Success is a decision that is tough to make because it’s not easy in any sense of the word. The main reason for this is you have to let go the people from your past with whom you may have strong relationships. Here are some reasons you need to let a few friends go.

1)Just because you choose success doesn’t mean your friends or family will. In general, people have a natural tendency to not want to be left behind whether they realize it or not. Some close friends will make you feel bad for making too much. Many of them will suddenly expect you to pay for everything just because you are making more than them. I know this because I used to be one of those people and now I know what I was doing.

2)They see you for who you were and not who you are becoming. A few close friends will see you for the bumbling, unsuccessful person that you used to be. In many ways, I can’t blame them. It is really hard to shake first impressions. The only friends you want to keep are the ones who support you along the way and realize the new man or woman in their life.

3)Once you are successful, you will have conflicting values. A big lifestyle change has to occur to become successful whether you like that fact or not. For instance, you may wake up every day at 6am to start the day off strong but how are you going to do that if your party friend is always encouraging you to stay out till 2am? It is very hard my friend. Is it Possible? Maybe, but I wouldn’t count on it. You may begin to improve your character, which is necessary for success, and so you will be disturbed by lack of it in your friends who aren’t successful. Be careful who you allow to influence your life and strength of character.

4)Your income will equal the sum of your closest 5 friends. Don’t believe me? Think about it for a second. I remember hearing this and realizing the truth of it for the first time. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want you to give up your friends because they don’t make more then you. But it is something you have to be aware of. If you choose the wrong friends, you may choose your financial fate.

5)A few friends may start asking you for favors all of the sudden. Can you lend me money, I need rent? Can you help me pay some debt off? I need to pay for books for school, can you help out? Be careful with subtle hints like “ahh man my rent is due in two days”. I encourage you to help your friends but you and I both know the difference between helping a friend and being the go to person to provide support.

6)When you start becoming successful, you may hide who you so your friends won’t feel bad. Let me tell you that this is no way to live. If you don’t have friends who you can’t be yourself around, then you have to find a better group of friends. However, if they accept the new success and there is no ill will at all, by all means, keep them in your life.

7)The main factor in being successful is ATTITUDE. You probably have friends who don’t support your dreams and have no qualms about telling you. Tell me this. How are you going to fully and I mean fully commit to your dreams if you have people telling you that you can’t accomplish them. It would be hard to do so. A positive attitude is nowhere near as contagious as a negative and that’s why you have to be very careful with the things you allow into your mind.

8)They suck the energy out of you because they don’t have a life of their own. They get mad or take it personally when you can’t go somewhere with them. Since they don’t have their own life, they try to stick to you like a fly on a fly swatter. You may here things like “Oh you can’t hang out, how about I go on your appointments with you? “. The absolute worst case scenario occurs when this person isn’t just your friend but your girlfriend/boyfriend.

CHeck out more articles like this and VIDEO INTERVIEWS at http://thebusinessvisionary.com

• Like Like x 1
  2. danadlington

danadlington
    uix_expand uix_collapse

So far I have noticed some resistance from people in my own life regarding my entrepreneurial ambitions. I had friends who would say "So you haven't made any money yet. Why do you bother?" and "You will never make it work". I had to stop drinking with them because I realised they would only poison my life with negativity. The fact is you can't do anything with negativity.

This year I joined a mastermind and several members are very wealthy and successful. A couple of months later I started experiencing some success myself.

From my experience so far what you said above is very true.

3. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have lost a lot of friends along the way, mostly because I was driven and they weren't. All they did was hold me back so I had to cut them loose.

4. danadlington

danadlington
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Same thing happened to me. It's sad but it happens.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'd love to hear a little more about that, what kind of group is it and how did you hear about it?

6. chonda

chonda
    uix_expand uix_collapse

reasons a lot.I think the best is that you didn't become the real successful at the time,but when someone get the top successful who will lose the close person for him,this is fair,when we have got something,meanwhile we shall lose something.

7. BAFHarvest

BAFHarvest
    uix_expand uix_collapse

it is possible not to lose some. if you would just remain the same the way you are to them, then for sure, they would remember you and be with you as you take the path of your rocky road.:) but if you lose some, you would surely have more. :

8. kimipatel

kimipatel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Success is take from us too many friends or family member also... I thinks it's a deal with success and friends... Success want your friends behalf of success..... But it dependance on you How you want to make deal with them. Because they people know you when you didn't success in your life... But some people Accepts this to early or some people accepts slowly... I think that is a life. We have to move ahead......

9. secretstaff.com

secretstaff.com
    uix_expand uix_collapse

"If you don’t have friends who you can’t be yourself around, then you have to find a better group of friends. However, if they accept the new success and there is no ill will at all, by all means, keep them in your life." -- You are right about that. But in addition, I think you don't necessarily have to get rid of your hard-to-handle friends on your way to success right away. If ever they get offensive and negative, just talk to them about it...and if they're real friends, they would understand and even support you with your endeavors anyway. In short, you don't necessarily have to choose between SUCCESS and FRIENDSHIP. They aren't two end poles.

10. MICHAEL LINDMARK

MICHAEL LINDMARK
    uix_expand uix_collapse

We cannot avoid insecurities and misunderstanding to occur.