Why too much advertising is not good?

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by CashAware, Aug 27, 2015.

1. CashAware

CashAware
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Some webmaster likes to place a lot of advertising on their website to earn more money than usual. While getting revenue with its website is nice, this is not the right thing to do. Not at all. Well, except if you only get selfish and think short term.

For starting, let's say the users of your website will hate this. And the more they hate your ads, the less they will look at it, consider it, and click on it. So, this rules out at start any strategy to earn money using CPC, while it is way more profitable than CPM.

Then, advertisers hate it as well. If you do it too much, you will get less revenue per ad, even if you get overall more money. But this will only work on the short term since in the long term, you earn more money using CPC than any CPM you might expect.

There's also adblockers. Each webmaster putting too much ads somewhere slowly push even more people to develop, contribute, gives money to, and use adblockers. Each. Advertisers are aware of that as well.

So you want a good strategy? Don't do that. Be smarter, make people like your ads, not the reverse.

2. Winterybella

Winterybella
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Again this is something I have been reading about and here are some of the concerns raised re the amount of ads that are on a website. Too many ads can detract from your content, detract from your products and frustrate your customers. Customers don't like to have to sift through ads to find what they are looking for. I also read that too many ads above the fold on your website could negatively affect your ranking. All this is SEO related which I am still learning about.

Thanks for the information you shared and bringing this the forum. I am eager to learn whatever I can in this area.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Corzhens

Corzhens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Whenever I would open a page of a new site that I would visit, I am conscious of the ads. When there is too much ads in the homepage, I get the impression that the site is only for profit. And if I was just surfing for something good in the internet, say an electronic item, I would exit upon seeing that too many ads because my reason is this - there are far too many sites in the internet and I have the control of what I want to see.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jade80

Jade80
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with Corzhens. If I'm bombarded with ads when I go to a page, and I can barely even find the content I want to see, I immediately just leave. I can deal with some ads, and I understand their purpose, but when the ads outweigh the content, no thank you. I will find my information elsewhere.

5. Redd

Redd
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Too many ads on a web page are not only distracting but also annoying.

Most netizens aren't interested in ads and that's probably the reason why a lot of them block ads. They are in search of information. Give them that information and they'll keep coming back. Since ads hardly earn web publishers any money these days, using other monetization methods [like affiliate marketing] would get you better results especially if you have a built an audience which you can sell to. Placing too many ads on your site will make it impossible.

6. CashAware

CashAware
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You're right, it is basically the rules.

Just for reference to newcomers not knowing the term (after all, this is a business forum, not a SEO forum): "above the fold" means all the content you have on screen without scrolling. I guess this rule is intended for very long pages who can have multiple ads since after you read two or three paragraphs the ads will be hidden. But again, do not overdo it in this category. Also, remember that having too much ads on a webpage can be against the Terms of Services of your advertiser.

Most netizens doesn't block ads, and there's a large amount of people cutting the sound when advertising shows on TV. This is the kind of thing advertisers know and advertisers doesn't pay too much the consequence on Internet since when the ad isn't shown, there's no revenue.
    And anyway, despite an amount of people just change channels when ads come on TV, these ads are still brought and are quite efficient to break down any website under the spike of traffic. So I wouldn't say ads are gone, far from that. The adblocker problem will be a problem of the past in the future, if advertisers does correctly their work, along with webmasters, and all advertisers should do the effort.

7. m0n2k

m0n2k
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree even those pop up ads are annoying. It's kind of like spamming if you really think about it. I even hear you have to place your ads in places that will increase the probability of people clicking on them, making them blend in. Your ads have to be relevant to whatever is on your site also, this would probably keep people from being annoyed with them. With the use of adblockers you have to be really skillful when using ads these days.

8. CashAware

CashAware
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Without the adblockers, and in the past, we should have been skillful. But we weren't, that's basically because why adblockers exists. Otherwise, this would be just a thing of privacy enthusiasts today. Remember, in a TV, not a lot of people records their broadcast to avoid ads, meanwhile they could use that strategy. Also, there isn't 3 min of ads on catch up platforms, but there's on TV. Despite that, there's less efforts done than the one of finding the extension and making them installing an adblocker.

Basically, I think we overloaded so much people with ads that they found worthwhile to learn how to block ads, meanwhile it is not the easiest task to do, it involves often searching and knowing the browser, etc. This makes me think we gone too far, somehow, and the whole ad industry is getting less views (& clicks !) because of that. Which is not a problem for ad buyers, since while they reach less people, they pay less, but more for sellers.

9. kitchie

kitchie
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Too much ads will push your visitors away for 2 reasons. Site is too slow to load and second there are so many pop ups. I personally hate that.

10. Richard Johnson

Richard Johnson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For the best communication in your advertisement collateral, a minimalist approach to your information is the best method. Coupled with some creative thinking and taking a bit of time to come up with a catchphrase or working out what your focus is in the message will drive your advertising collateral further. Signals are keys, too many will confuse your readers and you will loose a large reader base. You only get a small window for someones valued attention. Make your message clear, concise and don’t forget to make it look good.

11. vanessa110

vanessa110
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Actually, i hate ads. When i visit website, i face with many pop ups and load this website slowly. It is so annoy and bored
    So i think it is reason why we do not have many ads in the website. Visiors will go away from your site

12. klaythomson

klaythomson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Its because too much advertising is very annoying. If I were a visitor of a site and then the ads are too many, I will immediately close the site.