Why Squidoo Is Not Good For Your Business

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by taki, Oct 2, 2008.

1. taki

taki
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Many places are now blocking Squidoo links because of the heavy heavy leaning toward a totally marketing environment. The whole site is a orgy of capitalism. Social networking sites like Digg have banned submissions pointing to the Squidoo network for this very reason. When a site as big as Digg has become bans your domain your doing something wrong.

Learn from this. Work around it.

2. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is the first time I've heard of this. If this is true, then a lot of people will be shocked to hear this news. As most people know, Squidoo is one of the best marketing and link-building tools available today.

I want to read up more on this article but I can't seem to see the link for this when I google it. Do you have the link on this Taki?

3. SarahQ

SarahQ
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Where did this come from?

I would like to see the sources for this information. Squidoo lenses are coming up in the SEs like crazy and I haven't heard of anyone having a problem with the links. As to a marketing orgy, you choose which modules to include with the lens, not Squidoo, so that's that person's choice. What would be the difference between that and a blog with Adsense and affiliate links all over the place?

4. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm no expert on Squidoo and how it works as I've never used it. You piqued my interest in it though, taki. For those of you that have, I'd like to hear more about your experiences. After looking around the site, I found SarahQ has wrapped up my question in a nutshell there:

I don't see any real evidence anywhere of such a ban either. The closest I came to "evidence" (and I use that term very loosely) was a blog post that's been quoted repeatedly by other sites. This is it:

http://www.10e20.com/blog/2006/12/21/and-the-list-of-domains-ditched-by-digg-keeps-growing/

Now who this person is I have no idea nor whether they'd be considered any kind of voice of authority. Until I see some kind of official notice from either Digg or Squidoo in reference to it, I'll take that information with a large pinch of salt.

I imagine the only way to find out is to try submit a Squidoo page to Digg and see if it gets accepted...but surely there would be posts all over the net by disgruntled Squidoo users if they weren't? :confused:

5. SarahQ

SarahQ
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is definitely a myth

I did some searching and couldn't find any proof of this ban at all. Then I decided to go to the source - digg.com - and it became easy to see that this is an absolute myth, given the number of squidoo lenses that were submitted just today.

The latest was 9 min. before my search.
    A total of 15 lenses had been added to digg in just the past 5 hours.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Even if search engines and sites like Digg do discount the value of links from Squidoo, I still can't see those links doing any harm to your site.

Search engines will sometimes penalise a site because of the sites it links to but to the best of my knowledge they don't penalise a site because of the sites that link to it. For example, if Business Advice Forum had text links to lots of inappropriate sites, we would probably get banned by Google. Links from inappropriate sites to Business Advice Forum, wouldn't help our search engine listings, but they shouldn't harm either. If they did it would be very easy to have a competitor's site penalised.