Why Should We Choose Low Traffic Keywords?

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by AliceNolan, Apr 2, 2012.

1. AliceNolan

AliceNolan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I was discussing one of my colleague about an issue. While talking he told me that we should choose such keywords which have High Competition and Low Traffic Volume.

I was amazed on his theory. I was searching high traffic and low competition keywords from the beginning of my career. So, I asked him why should we do such thing but he did not replied me directly. I think that there should be some myth inside this theory.

Should we really choose such High Traffic and Low Volume keywords or Not?

Needs your Opinion.

2. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, it depends on how you analyze your keywords. When you are, for example - a new website or blog - the most appropriate keywords that you should target "mostly" is those keywords that are low in competition and high in traffic. This helps you rank faster or more easier on the niche that your blog of website is targeting. Once you have built a good rank on those keywords, you could actually level up now into either medium competition keywords with high of medium traffic volume.

With refer to "high competition and low traffic volume", that only means that even though the competition on the niche keyword is high, and traffic is low, the probability of those keywords being more revenue or conversion leading is a factor.

3. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

not low traffic keywords but not saturated keyword. probably that will make your site rank the first since you're probably just the only SEO who concentrate on this keyword.

4. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Remember that the terms "High Competition" and "Low Traffic Volume" in the AdWords tool are directed at ad buyers, not ad sellers. Perhaps his theory is that "High Competition" means that the ads will pay well (since there is a lot of competition for the search term) but that "Low Traffic Volume" will mean that other websites won't bother to compete for the term.

I would question whether the last part of the assumption (if that is what he was thinking) is necessarily true. You would need to conduct a Google search to see how many sites come up for that search term. If there are a lot of competing sites in the SERPs when you search for that term, then fighting over a very small group of potential visitors may not be worth it, even if the earnings per click is relatively high.

5. DeniseTaylor

DeniseTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with Business Attorney about Google's keyword tool. It's not the best tool for publishers to use because the data is skewed for advertising purposes. However, with the proper keyword tool (which my company provides in its sitebuilding package), you can determine how many people are searching for a term and how many sites are optimized for it. Analyzing this information can help you find keywords that are what we call High Demand and Low Supply.

Writing pages for this type of keyword(s) is an excellent strategy because it helps you create pages that rank more easily. We call them "low hanging fruit." If you can write a lot of pages this way, eventually your site will start to rank for more competitive terms which tend to be the better monetizing keywords - those with commercial focus.

So yes, excellent strategy. But like any good strategy it must be properly executed. Finding a good keyword tool is one aspect of that. Then writing enough of these kinds of pages is another.

6. Ken Peterson

Ken Peterson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Not Low traffic keywords, We choose relevant keywords which has low competition and high traffic.

7. paralin

paralin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The most appropriate answer is available in the question of this post that we choose low traffic keywords because chance to improve our website ranking are high in it. If competition will be low on keyword then we have more chances to get customers at starting point specially.

8. band

band
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is good for you to raise up this question. Never fix yourself to a box, his theory may only work for his website, take it as reference will do.

For me I will always choose the most relevant keywords, relevant keywords is refer to high conversion keywords (Keywords have high Click through rate (CTR) with low bounce rate). Through analytics and webmaster tool, I can easily analysis those keywords. Once I get the keywords, I will spent more effort to it regardless competition and number of searcher.

9. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When you talk about high competitive keyword with low search volume, it normally has a high CPC, many people are working on those keyword because of the high CPC, the fact is many of them fail, you will only success if you are really good in that niche.
    personally i still prefer low/medium competitive with high search volume

10. Owen

Owen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would prefer, High Search Volume with medium compete, so that it will give high conversion rate.

If you are an information site target readers oriented keywords.
    If you are a product seller / Service provider, target buyer oriented keywords.

11. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The idea is - start from the bottom. Start from targeting small markets - and when you win over them, start leveling up and targeting higher competition. Marketing takes time and there are no easy nor quick ways.

12. stellaandreapark

stellaandreapark
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Searches are more targeted in low traffic keywords.

13. onlinemotorcycle

onlinemotorcycle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Because of hard competition in market use long tail keyword not (low traffic) keywords.