Why make a million when you can make a BILLION...

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by mv5869, Oct 17, 2010.

?

Do you run many sites, or put all efforts into 1 site?

1. Lots of sites. Perhaps one of them will take off and make me rich

50.0%
  2. Just one main site. I want to make one great site, not loads of dross

40.0%
  3. I dont have a website

10.0%
  1. mv5869

mv5869
    uix_expand uix_collapse

"Why make a million when you can make a BILLION..." That quote came from The Social Network, which I've just seen at the cinema and is actually a surprisingly good film. Definitely worth watching, even if, like me, you're not a Facebook fan.

Anyway, my question is whether you think it is better to have lots of sites, each making a little money, or to concentrate all your effort on just one site and make it great, a la Facebook.

What do you do?

2. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As you can see all those IT giant are not focus on many website, they just own one and develop it. They will only start to make another sub-website once the main website become mature

3. Jahan Choudhry

Jahan Choudhry
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The main project should ideally be one.

However sometimes in order to success achieve with the main project or business you are working on you need to generate "multiple streams of income" to raise cash flow for your main business.

So you can then start doing these other smaller projects which are handy little money-earners for what is your main goal.

4. acarrothers

acarrothers
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I always have multiple sites up and running, but really only onr project that I am focusing on at any given time.

I try to build web assets that...

1) Require little maintenance and attention to operate/run.
    2) Leverage my visitors to create content.

5. Rubs

Rubs
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Currently have one main one that I'm fully focusing on - Feedback Roulette. Have a few other sites which don't bring significant income.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's also my approach. When Business Advice Forum is as big as Google I'll work solely on it!

7. Justin

Justin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hmm, I run lots of sites but not because I think one of them might take off and make me rich. Most of my sites that I run belong to clients, although I have a personal blog and a couple of affiliate type blogs.

However most of my efforts are now being concentrated away from client work and onto one website.

I think running lots of sites because you think one might take off and make you rich is a disaster. Whatever you do, have a plan!

8. koreannie

koreannie
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

this quote was interesting,but i don't think i can earn billion even one million

9. euzio.com

euzio.com
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This thread made me laugh, focusing all your money, effort and time into one website is like putting all your eggs in one basket. Same thing happened with myspace and look where it is now, millions of users behind facebook. Being succesful off of one website alone is like winning the lottery. Those who aspire to make money off the internet should stick with owning a lot of websites with ok to great earnings. Or if anyone is into an astronomical amount of risk go for it and put a lot of work into one big website.

Focusing on one site while having a bunch of smaller sites working for you is also a great idea.

10. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have my main site and a couple of small sites but none are designed to make me a fortune. That was never the plan really. It was more about doing something I enjoy. I'd rather focus on one at a time than divide my attention between hundreds. I answered one main site in the poll because it was the closest fit to me. An "Other - explain below" option would have been good. :)

11. John Million

John Million
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Agree with Euzio, definitely don't put all your eggs in one website basket. Zuckerberg didn't put all his resources into one website really, he put his resources into one idea. If Facebook didn't get off the ground, he would have taken the same idea and rebranded it. So don't focus on one website. If you have an idea you're REALLY sure will revolutionize the internet, consider focusing on that.

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I wonder if he had been running another one or more websites while setting up FaceBook, would he still have been the success he is today? I somehow don't think so, my guess is that his focus and perhaps even obsession, on a single website was a major factor in its success. As you say, I'm sure he would have changed course if it had not worked out for him, and kept doing so until he found something he could make really successful.

I agree with that 100%.