Why is my site indexed by some keywords and not by similar matching keywords?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by manishsqrt, May 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manishsqrt

manishsqrt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have my site indexed by some keywords with very good ranking in Google, but not by some other, similar. keywords, though both these keywords are in the same page description tag. Is there any method to tell Google to index the page by respective keyword. For example, my page is ranked with the keyword 'history quiz', but not with keyword 'quiz'? Is competition the reason or is there some method to sort this out?

#1 manishsqrt, May 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2015
  2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Unfortunately, you cannot tell Google to list your web page under certain keywords, but you can suggest some. Although this is a very simple explanation, Google will list your page based on the relevance to the search term. There are a lot of other factors used to determine where in the SERPs for a particular term your web page is listed, but for the purposes of this discussion, we can start there. So, how does Google determine your page's relevance to the search term? By looking at the content. First, have you used the search term in your content? If not, how relevant is the search term to the content of your web page?
    You started out using the term "indexed", then switched to "ranked". They don't mean the same thing, and this is where it gets complicated. Your page may actually be indexed for the word "quiz", but for other reasons, pages from other websites may be more relevant or more authoritative. As I mentioned earlier, there are several factors used to to determine a web page's actual position in the SERPs. What words are you using when you market the website, and link to your pages in articles about your niche? Where are these articles published? Remember, the quality of the sites linking to you are more important than the quantity, although if the quality is similar in other sites, the quantity may become a consideration. Competition may be a reason, and/or the word you want to rank for may be too generalized. To use your example, "quiz" is a general term. The content of your web page may be more relevant to "history quiz", which is why you rank there and not for the more general term, "quiz".
    When push comes to shove, only Google knows how Google does what she does, so the only thing we can do is follow the Guidelines and make sure we have a high-quality site. If you are referring to the site I think you are, your site needs work - but that's in another thread.

• Like Like x 2
  3. manishsqrt

manishsqrt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Based on what joeroxx has written,the conclusion is that competition on a keyword is the factor. But, will promoting a site with appropriate anchor text in backlinks help. For example, suppose my competitor has 10000 backlinks with keyword "science quiz" and his website ranks above me even when people search for "quiz". Then, would my site rank above his site if I promote my site with anchor text "quiz", even if I have just 2000 such links? Here it should be considered that competitor has almost no backlinks with the exact anchor text "quiz".

#3 manishsqrt, May 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2015
  4. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

You're spending too much time obsessing about a single keyword, when your potential visitors may not even be searching that particular word. Before even thinking about marketing your site, you need to make it more appealing to your potential visitors, as indicated in this thread. What you can do now, though, is check out the websites that are ranked, to see how they have been designed, to get some other ideas on how to redesign yours. Once that is done, you can then research your keywords, to find out which ones you should be pursuing. Don't waste your time worrying about a single word that describes your site, when very few of your potential visitors may search it.
    I am going to close this thread for now, to give you the opportunity to get your site ready to actually be marketed. Once you've made all the changes needed, which in my opinion include a complete website redesign, ten we can come back here, or start a new thread, to discuss how to find the right keywords to market your website.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.