Why forum links are not considered good

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by manishsqrt, May 18, 2015.

1. manishsqrt

manishsqrt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am curious to know why backlinks on forums are not counted as quality links.I think the major reason is that forums are not stable they just keep on coming and closing.That's why the links on such forums are not stable.What are your opinion guys.

2. Kevin Peter

Kevin Peter
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

Have your backlink in the relevant thread might have interested people go to your website. Your traffic flow might increase, but conversions might be less. Its always necessary to have your buyers persona find out correctly, else you are just spamming people with an URL which is not interest to them.

• Like Like x 1
  3. James4

James4
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would only like to say if you will put your link on irrelevant place then that will really push you away. It's not only for forum but also for other platforms.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DeniseTaylor

DeniseTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Forum links aren't "bad," they just don't count like they used to. If they are done in order to spam or manipulate, they can cause trouble. Any link you can get yourself has been devalued. Anything you overdo or abuse can become a problem for your site.

Contribute to forums and add value to the discussion. That's what forums are for. Any link benefits are secondary, but can still somewhat, but must be done well.

5. alishroy

alishroy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Because some forums links are nofollow and some are dofollow.
    There is no link benefits from nofollow, backlinks but help to drive pretty traffic. But in case of Do follow forum backlinks are helpful to pass some link juice to your website.

6. carloborja

carloborja
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would not think of forums as something I would get link juice from.

Ever since, the purpose of forums is to build a community. That means sharing of knowledge and providing helpful information while building relationships with people of the same interest.

If you do the latter, you won't have any problems with forums. You will enjoy every bit of it without thinking if links are good or bad. :)

7. packersm913

packersm913
    uix_expand uix_collapse

forum posting is good but do the posting on the relevant content? and give the link of post related link

8. AakashAgarwal

AakashAgarwal
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Then why forum given signature part with hyperlink

#8 AakashAgarwal, May 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
  9. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Supposedly, a link to your website in a forum signature can help increase traffic. As Denise pointed out, the purpose of forum posting is to "add value to the discussion", and carloborja said that you build a community through "sharing of information" and "providing helpful information". As the forum members get to know you as an expert in your niche, they can use the link in your signature to visit your website. You also have the option in some forums (including this one) of removing your signature from certain posts, so it is only shown in posts in threads related to your business.

10. jmwang

jmwang
    uix_expand uix_collapse

But I think the forum link is very good,so your can publish some useful content in the relevent forum for your consumer,it can bring high quality traffic,not just for ranking!

11. peterfarrell22

peterfarrell22
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I disagree that forums are not good for getting links. Just make sure that you are getting links from relevant forums and that too in moderation quantity. Not only it helps in getting visitors, building relations, but also improves rankings.

12. ClouDNS

ClouDNS
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For me forums can help you to have a good direct relation with your potential customers and for direct marketing.
    I think that for the seo, forums will not help you in the way you expect it.

13. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Your question was why forum links are not considered "quality links" implies you are asking about the value of the links in search engine algorithms.

That is a different question than whether the links have any value as a marketing tool for improving your reputation and driving traffic to your site. As several posts have already indicated, participation in forums can serve a useful purpose if you make valuable contributions to the forum discussions.

As for SEO value, there are several reasons that forum links are not considered quality links:
    1. Most of the links are signature links. That means several things:
    -- A. First, signature links are self-generated, so they are not the third party endorsement that the link-based algorithms are based upon.
    -- B. Second, signature links contain the same link text over and over, which means that they are not "natural".
    2. Like many other sites with user-generated content, forums are prone to overuse by people looking solely for SEO "juice". As a result, many forums that started out being a place where useful discussions took place have drowned in spammy discussions filled with spammy links. Neighborhood counts in search engine algorithms, so when particular types of websites become home to thousands of spammy links, the good links suffer. It has happened to web directories, article directories and other types of SEO-magnets as well.
    3. Even valuable links on good forums suffer due to the fact that at least Google divides the link "juice" between all the links on a page. A page on a typical forum often has 100 or more links. That means that the value of a great link on a great forum is going to be very, very diluted.

I still enjoy reading and posting on forums. Do it for the right reasons and be a good contributor. If you are looking for an SEO boost, you are basically wasting your time.

• Like Like x 1