Why does my website ranking drop?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by dragonmen, Jul 24, 2013.

1. dragonmen

dragonmen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yesterday, I checked my website's ranking, and it ranked No.15. However, today I checked it again; I found that the ranking greatly dropped, ranked No.100. Why?

2. AnushaJain

AnushaJain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Dragonmen,Welcome to Business Advice Forum.Share your website name over her,after checking it out we can tell about its fall..but in the mean while you should see that are you updating your site regularly?and is it according to SEO?
    Just look to the questions which I have put in front of you...

3. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Welcome dragonmen Server to BusinessAdviceForum. Thanks for joining us!

The reason of your drop of website rank is because of roll-out of new algorithms of Google; Panda 2 and Penguin 2. They are refreshing everything. The sites with quality contents and links will move up and sites with duplicate contents, poor links will go down.

4. Portal88

Portal88
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Do you often update your site? You need to update your site. Google like the new page/update page. If you dont update your site frequently, your rank will drop. :)

5. natyk

natyk
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you want your site always be in the same or higher position you should regularly add the fresh content. Nice if you run a funpage where you can add link to you site while you publish new information. Maybe check one time more you meta tags.

6. abhi_garg

abhi_garg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How old is the website? It's happened with new sites as Google appreciate new sites and then after few days they place them to their real place

7. henna

henna
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are many reason why a site will drop in the rankings. I have shared the commons reason's here.

Change in the Search Engine Ranking Algorithm, Loss of Page Rank & link popularity, Malware or Hacking.

8. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Without actually looking at your website, we cannot tell specifically why your website's ranking dropped, but some of the reasons why a website's ranking will drop have been mentioned.

This is one reason why rankings will drop, usually because Google has changed their algorithm to take into account attempts to "game" the system, which means tightening up the rules to make them stricter. Sometimes, even if you play by the rules, your site will temporarily drop in the rankings, then as the dust settles, your rankings will go back up. You would have to carefully look at what you are doing on your own site to see if you need to change anything.

This could wind up backfiring on you. If you update, or make any major changes to your website, too often, each update or change means there is now a new website where the old one used to be, and you need to start over again. If there is nothing wrong with the content, and the information on it is still current, you may not need to make any changes at all. Minor tweaks or changes, however, should not have an effect on your rankings.

One question that hasn't been asked yet is, where are your backlinks coming from? If your links are from a "bad neighborhood", or not diversified enough, they may not be the type of links Google is looking for. Also, if you suddenly get a large number of links, you will get a temporary boost, but it is not sustainable.

• Like Like x 1
  9. saahil

saahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello, your query should contain more details so as the community can answer it, like
    a) which keywords did you checked for, or is it for entire site
    b) is your domain also not figuring in on 1st page after writing your domain address in google search
    c) Specific page and url

There could be number of reasons :-
    a) Sudden spurge in Excessive Spam Links Pointing to your site
    b) Algorithmic change, which Google now does every month
    c) Could be some page specific errors too

10. Mr.

Mr.
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Website Rankings Dropped – 10 Possible Causes

#1. Broken links

The broken links came from:

Changing my content management system to WordPress.

Posts I had deleted in the move when other pages still linked to them.

Links I had placed that had since died. (Sites had shut down)

People commenting and leaving broken links. (Still happens today)

Permalinks changed in the move.

#2. Server Problems

#3. Robot Text File

#4. Errors in Your Sitemap

#5. Duplicate Site Title

#6. The Bloody Algorithms

#7. Links Disappear

#8. Your Site is Hacked

#9. Canonicalization Problems

#10. Your Competition is Just Better

Source for full article :http://letsbuildwebsites.com/website-rankings-dropped/

11. BODHost

BODHost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The truth is everybody sees different search results based on their location and search history. There are many instances where two people in the same office seeing different search results for any given query.

So if you are one of the rank checkers then you might have noticed that rankings of some keywords fluctuate time by time. The only measure of your marketing effort is the effect on the traffic to the page and the conversions.