Why do we fail?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Swastik, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Swastik

Swastik
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are literally thousands of people who 'try' to succeed. But a very few of them are actually able to do that. Why? What is the reason behind that? Lets talk about online businesses.

People make big dreams, and rightly so. The show-off isn't less lucrative. They make big and unrealistic dreams and due to lack of experience or anything else, if they are not able to achieve them, their hopes crash out. Their self-confidence is broken and they stop trying.

Now, lets take an example - I start a website and just rush into affiliate marketing and contextual ad programs to make some quick money. I set myself a target of earning 1000$ in the first month itself. (Remember, there are lots of misleading things and SCAM spread all over). Now, what happens? I earn a mere 50-100$ and lose hope? Why..because I had set an unrealistic goal from the beginning itself. That was just an example.

What I am trying to say is that being positive is very good thing, but being over-optimistic, and unrealistic at the same time may let you down. Have achievable goals, set a time-frame, prepare for them and achieve them. That's the best method to run a business.

Also, if you cannot achieve targets which you think are realistic, then take a look into your efforts, your focus. I am sure you will find one way out and that will be a big experience for your life.

So the answer to my question : Why do we fail? Because we set unrealistic goals, intentionally or unintentionally, do not put consistent efforts and when we fail once, we leave for ever.

Please share your own ideas.

2. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You have clearly stressed the importance of not setting your goals too high Swastik. For my case, I don't find anything wrong with it just as long as you're open-minded and adaptable. If we're just starting out on any kind of new business endeavor, it is but normal that we may have high expectations. This is because we haven't fully understood the business that we're going into including the many challenges it presents.

Once we begin to understand the business, we also start to realize that our expectations might have been too high. This is the time to adjust and lower our goals and expectations so that they would be more achievable. It would be foolhardy to stick to the same unrealistic goals that we've initially set for ourselves.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've recently noticed that there are benefits to be gained from holding yourself back a little. For example, if you start a new exercise routine and you train to your maximum on the first day, this can be demotivational in the long run. You will find yourself very tired after your first day of training and when it comes to your second training session it may be harder to motivate yourself because you are still tired and you know that you have already pushed yourself to the max.

If you hold yourself back a little on your first day, you will often feel very motivated to do more next time and you will not be as tired next time out.

4. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have seen failures. But failing is not the end. Rather when you fail at something, it tells you to work hard in later days of your life.

Lack of planing is also another cause and something when luck doesn't favour you, it may occur.

You have to be always be prepared and work hard for it and success will be in other side.

5. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Shifting your goals is very important especially with the changing times and circumstances. When starting the business, I guess it's good to just have modest business goals and not expecting too much. I, on the other hand, am sometimes overly-optimistic and have very high expectations. Sometimes, I think too BIG. When reality sets in and I begin to understand the business or any endeavor better, that's the time that I adjust and lower down my goals to a more realistic and achievable one.

The thing to note is that we must observe and listen. When training physically or exercising, aches and sore spots and joints, will be the observable signs that you need to look out for. This means that your body is trying to tell you something - you need rest.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Nazreen, you have some good points there. Listening to feedback is a very important factor in success. It will tell us if we are going in the right direction and if what we are doing is yielding the results we desire.

Big goals can be very motivational and it is good to have them. As you say it is important to be able to adjust them if we don't achieve them. In this way they continue to be a motivator rather than something that demotivates us if we don't achieve them.

7. Advisor

Advisor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I beg to difffer here. Failing may not always be due to unrealistic goals, but due to undirectional goals. I will be honest here, I do not understand "UNREALISTIC GOALS". How can goals be unrealistic?? No goal is realistic, you make it realistic by hardwork and correct direction! You can have any goal but it is vitally important you go in the right direction with the right companion

8. upineter

upineter
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One thing that make fail in the business is routin acitivity. It make our life like a robot. So inovation is needed to prevent it. Inovation is just not for product, but in our life it is needed.

9. FSFITZ

FSFITZ
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I hear you loud and clear. I'm a 100% commission sales person and have been failing more than ever before. Reality is that, in my line of advertising (certainly not Madison Ave.), people aren't spending like they were just a year ago. My usual and once easily attainable goal of a new deal a day has vanished. To hold on to that goal is futile. So I do hear you loud and clear. I needed a catcher in the rye about 6 months ago before I left me steady sales job. I had no idea the market would get this bad and that I'd suffer as I have as a result. Though I do hope it's not to much to have a goal to generate some sort of income this month.

10. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, it's not just in the U.S. that people in sales are having problems getting commissions. Here in tiny Singapore too have been hit with this slowdown and it keeps getting harder and harder to earn a commission. Anyway, I'm also converting from full-time to part-time Financial Adviser and just got a job as a teacher's aide in Australian School. It's not that stressful a job because I'll just help the teacher in the class so I can still meet customers after office hours.

Most people nowadays, especially with rising inflation, tend to spend only on the essential necessities in life. That's why it's difficult to sell but I don't consider that I have failed yet though because I'm still trying to succeed.

FSFITZ, I suggest that you should also have something to fall back to and have additional sources of income.

11. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, Swastik you're right.

But your goal of 1000 dollars can be considerable. But something a simple plan can lift you up and sometimes a great plan fails. It's kind of natural. But having an experience over this is a great determination or achievement. Since that was your first goal and you may have learnt alot of thing either which was low focued and lacking like enough time frames or management or advertisement and so on.

Glad to see you've experienced it and thank you for sharing them.

12. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Aside from those reasons that were mentioned by Swastik, we can also fail because of bad judgment. We might be enticed into believing all these sites offering their secrets to instant wealth and get-rich-quick schemes. I know of someone who has been a victim to a lot of these scams and he doesn't seem to learn from his past mistakes. He's just too trusting and easily enticed by these schemes.

13. FSFITZ

FSFITZ
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm all over that, Nazreen. I'm a candidate for a salary sales position that also allows time for me to sell as an IC for the companies I'm contracted with. The 10% thing, like I said, is becoming too stressful.

14. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's good to hear. My friends and colleagues are also doing the same thing because sales is pretty bad this year and we cannot rely on commissions alone. I guess the same thing is happening in other parts of the globe.

15. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You make some good points Advisor. However, do you not think that people sometimes set goals that are unrealistic for them? I know it is extreme but for example it would be unrealistic for an unfit person over 40 to set themselves the goal of running 100M in under 10 seconds.

People shouldn't underestimate themselves, but on the other hand there isn't much to be gained from setting yourself up for failure by setting goals that are just not achievable.

If someone wants to increase their personal wealth within a year would they not be better off setting themselves a realistic goal for their net worth at the end of a year, as opposed to just deciding that they want to be a millionaire within a year?

On a different note, commissions for financial advisors in Ireland are also being reduced. Volumes are hit as financial institutions are approving less mortgages. Prices are being hit as financial institutions are cutting the commissions that they pay to their brokers.

16. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I hope Singapore won't follow Ireland by reducing commissions of Financial Advisors. It's already getting tougher selling as it is.

I also do agree that goals should always be realistic. The main reason why New Year's resolutions are never accomplished or if they were, that they didn't last, was because they are too unrealistic. I had a friend whose New Year's resolution was to never smoke again. My husband said that he would never last and he was 100% correct on that. My friend only lasted until February and by March, he was back to smoking again.

This is because my hubby smoked before too and it took him 7 years to totally stop smoking. What he did to totally stop was to reduce the number of cigarettes he smoked gradually and not abruptly stop smoking.

17. CLSbrunette

CLSbrunette
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I got a good business advice lately. Somebody told me that in a partnership for example it would help to have a certain individual who would be consistent in his effort and pursue that goal. In the end, the others will follow suit. :)

18. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, this is quite true CLSbrunette. Some people say that laughter and smiles are contagious but from this, we can also conclude that consistency of effort and pursuing of goals is also contagious. This is especially true if this partner or colleague is also a good motivator, has a great working personality and liked by most, if not all, in the company.

19. johnaydan

johnaydan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Truly very informative thread, thanks tonne for sharing guys, very inspirational...

20. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You're very much welcome. :)

Welcome to the Business Advice Forum John! Can you tell us more about yourself? If you're also into business, in one form or another, it would be good if you could also share that with the rest of the BAF community.