Why Did You Start Your Own Business?

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by only4u, Oct 3, 2009.

1. only4u

only4u
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I thought it would be interesting to ask the question here – did you start your business because you found a potential unfulfilled niche, you had a burning desire inside or you needed to generate much needed income?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I started working on my business full time, because of redundancy. I'd imagine that there are a lot of people in the same position. Many people have lost their jobs because of the recession and the fact that there are not many new job opportunities available at this time has resulted in a proportion of those people turning to self employment in order to make a living.

3. simbol

simbol
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have started the home business as i was not able to get money each time from my parents. So i have started finding a way which can provide me such opportunity.

4. bossofptc

bossofptc
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I started doing online business to get some extra money, i am not doing full time business its a way of spending time to me.

5. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I start own business because i want to get some experience on business and also i have confident that i can make money from it. Not matter what kind of business, all of them can make money, just depend whether the person running the business able to make it success or not

6. Sajid

Sajid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Why Do start A new Business?

Starting a new business or own business is the dream of every person. It is true that many people are not able to start their own business by having all the abilities of a good businessman the reasons behind may be financial problem and other thing as well. Now why do start own business. I will say that a person can earn more just by investing in his own business his efforts, hardworking and Finance. By his own business he gets reputation the handsome income and no order following of any one. So according to me starting own business is a good idea for those who have the capabilities for this.

7. Adam

Adam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well my desire of running a business is still under way and once i get the qualifications, then i will be sure to set up one :)..unfortunatly at the moment due to cash flow and other commitments, im still starting small with how i make my money at the end of the day.

My main source of income will be off ebay and other sites, buying and selling popular products and marketing them to family and friends, and then keep the pure profits i make on each item. On the odd occasions i re-invest into buying more products, but again some lack of business skills prevent me from doing it.

The main points for me in running a type of buying and selling business (something i will be looking into/interested in) would be better to go into a niche market, in order to make better money then other competitors. If you offer something slightly different then others, then you will without a doubt succeed and people will come to you rather then competitors that are similar in the market you are aiming for/in.

As you can tell, i love to buy and sell items to make money (dont we all!) however in the future i hope to expand and hopefully be able to open up a store in the highstreet but at first it would be a website offering lots of products, but offering something that others dont so that my money invested is not wasted.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's fantastic Adam. Buying and selling is what business is all about. Most college students don't get real world business experience. The experience you get now will be really helpful to you at college and when you finish. It will give you an edge over lots of other business studies students.

9. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I started my online business personally to kill time. I'm just bored doing nothing so I tried to take up earning money online by becoming a paid forum poster. And as a bonus, I used the money I earned to help on family expenses especially tuition fee of my sister. And if there's some extra funds, I do spend it for myself and buy something to add my growing toy collection.

10. karima

karima
    uix_expand uix_collapse

HELLO.

I was a SAHM with a fantastic life having a dinner party one night with several close friends when my husband lit my mouth on fire with all his freakin spicy hot food! Since my "light bulb" moment at that party in April of 2006, I have been compelled to bring my "invention" to the world. I wasn`t looking to start my own business. I was perfectly happy and fulfilled being a mother to my 2 daughters, but here I am... I can`t turn it off, and I can`t stop. Kinda crazy huh? You`ve got to be a little nuts to be an entrepreneur anyway. Count me in

11. Adam

Adam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah Fergal, i just love to buy and sell items in order to make a profit. I would say personally its not easy and i have overcome many problems along the way including money in order to buy the products was an issue, supplier problems and also some sites which charge a large amount of fees in order to put up items which i wanted to sell.

My parents dont like me making more money then them, as i sometimes do during the week (depending on the type of items they sell)..lucky enough they dont ask for a cut of the profits lol.

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

How did spicy food inspire you to start your own business? What kind of invention have you been working on?

All part of the learning process. I note that you sell on eBay. Have you ever considered something like Yahoo Merchant Services.

13. Adam

Adam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If Ema went actually in, then id be able to get a small ecommerce store/shop.

I have the skills and knowledge too and most likely the money.

I havent heard of Yahoo Merchant before, however i will check it out and will most likely consider that idea of selling from a shop of my own.

For now though, i like to sell on ebay as i find it VERY easy to do although the fees suck!

14. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sorry Adam, I'm not sure that I understand that. What or who is Ema?

15. Adam

Adam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

its from the government/council to encourage me to go to college...£20 per week :)

16. piatraelfa

piatraelfa
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Actually, i started to make money for myself when i was boring at my ex-job.And i soon realise that i can make twice or even thrice more money online, rather than staying at my desk,at my old job.
    That happened 2 years ago.

17. chweet20

chweet20
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am very much interested in helping out others. So i thought of starting my own business and pick many employees who were really talented and hardworkers with good knowledge. It was an immense helpful for them, when i recruited and am proud that i am running my business successfully with their work process. This makes me feel as satisfied Employer.

#17 chweet20, Oct 7, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  18. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the explanation Adam.

Well done piatraelfa, that's a good result and I wish you continued success with your online business.

19. bumba1988

bumba1988
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My reason for starting a business was simple.I was not happy with my job and I wanted to work for myself not for my boss.See I am hard working and it is better to use that hard work into my use,not for others.

20. Digital

Digital
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Starting own job is good thing. By doing so you are independent of what you have to do and you are not in anybodies pressure.