Why are American products more expensive overseas

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Player77, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Player77

Player77
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I used to work for a business that would ship American products overseas, where the markups for them would be up to 2.5x the price that they are in the USA. I have also heard that in Brazil American products could sell up to 4x the value that they sell for here in the USA. Why is this? Does anyone happen to know?
    I also wonder if you enter the foreign version of the website for American goods, is the price adjusted for the overseas price markup? For example if I wanted to purchase a polo jacket from the polo website, and I accessed polo through the Japanese website version, could I only see prices set for the Japanese market? Thanks for any input.

2. amal

amal
    uix_expand uix_collapse

American products are expensive abroad because American Products give you all the attributes that a customer wants.
    It has quality. It has value. It has Potential. It has reliability. It has responsive marketing. It has After sales services too which becomes expensive when trying to go global.
    In after sales services even customer service is involved which means that the company also tries to connect to it's customers during sales and even after the sale is done.

3. Aleena

Aleena
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think the american products are expensive abroad because of the change in rates of currencies overseas. Other than that they are of higher quality and also depends from which buyers your are buying products and how much margin does he/she keeping. Other than that american companies give lots of discount offers to their locals and there are some companies that ship their products worldwide.

4. bmwillsmith

bmwillsmith
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The fashion related products like clothes, shoe and spects are costly especially the brands like adidas, nike, reebok etc.,

5. janecristy

janecristy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with you that American products are costly because several taxes and custom duties are included through imports to several nations. Secondly the product have quality and reliability.

6. jaynorth

jaynorth
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well valuation of currency matter from country to country, also taxes are levied on it, once it leaves the country of origin, plus the shipping charges also gets manifested into it. Due to which American good are found at a higher price outside the country.