Why am I not getting any customers?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by amitchell, Feb 12, 2010.

1. amitchell

amitchell
    uix_expand uix_collapse

:eek:I just started a website offering resume writing. I'm not ranked on a search engine but have paid for some PPC ads and my analytics tells me I'm getting 50 visitors/day but I have not recieved one single order or even an email from a prespective customer. My rate to get started is $40 which is significantly less than any other competitor. Why am I not getting any customers? I realize no one knows who I am but how is it possible to not even get one single question by email or anything?! My website is employabilitiesresume. I need advice! Thanks!

2. Entré

Entré
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi & welcome to the Business Advice Forum!
    I visited your website and seen a few things that you should think about changing.

First though, the address for the website is employabilities resume.com - I think that the domain is too long and the word "employabilities" is not really a good word to use. I really suggest a name change.
    The theme is quite green and I think that if you try - you can really improve the website greatly, you should get some logos made, get a theme that isn't so green.

You also should put a snappy mission statement at the top of the page which describes clearly what your site offers.

Now you can change a lot more but what I have suggested is a start. Please could you post your two main competitors? As I'd like to see what their website looks like and compare it to yours, you may be able to learn a lot from them.

Also, I can go to an employment centre locally to have my resume written for free. A lot of people can. I have never heard of people paying for theirs to be written.

I hope that I have helped, even slightly. I wish you the best of luck my friend.

3. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

Welcome to Business Advice Forum, and thanks for asking your question.

There are few reasons you are not getting any order nor any questions. First of all, your site don't look like a professional. You should try changing the color of it or whole design to some thing which really looks good. So, that when your customer sees your site, he/she should think of it.

Another thing is there is no easy way to contact you, you can put a Live chat button there or you can place a big Contact us button there, so that the visitor comes to your site, contacts you.

And one more thing, which keywords are you trying in for PPC? I would suggest you to try to get more and more traffic from Organic search, so that the visitors comes from there are more interested in your services. If you are trying in the wrong keywords, then you won't see good results.

You can try turning your site into a blog and can try different themes of it, it can be more easier for you to manage your site like that. And also you can try some Webmaster forums for getting your customers like Digitalpoint Forums, as well as Sitepoint and others.

Hope this helps.

Thank You

- Sahil:)

4. realitybites.in

realitybites.in
    uix_expand uix_collapse

@amitchell

Sorry to hear that you are not getting any customers

There is great suggestion and advise from Sahil and Entré

Your Website and Your Logo speaks what your are

So is very important to get your website design and log designed by a professional web designer or design it your self ...but make sure that your website look professional

and try having good domain name

Recently there was report from a reputed firm ( sorry i have forgotten the name )

Your webpages design make's a big impression on buyers mind
    and it also mention that great percentage (%) of people buy stuff ...just by presentation ( look ) of website

And Logo plays big role in branding

5. sh02

sh02
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeh I agree with sahil. You need to make it easier for customers to contact you. Maybe try and set up a "squeeze page" and say enter your email address to receive the 5 top tips to writing a successful resume and then you have their email, and now can contact them to sell you resume writing service.

Also try and get you website ranked in google (and build back links) as this increase your google quality score and lower you CPC.

6. HJ-Andrew

HJ-Andrew
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you are getting 50 uniques a day, at least you are doing something right. Keep doing whatever is getting you this traffic, and expound on it. You want to keep this upward trend in traffic going perpetually. It never stops. You'll find many traffic sources in your search for ones that work. Perhaps these 50 uniques are coming from a link somewhere that would indicate that they may not be looking for whatever product or service you are offering. Perhaps switching the offer to something else would be appropriate.
    Really you need analytics to help with these types of decisions and research. It is hard to say what is going on without being able to look at the actual traffic data.

7. amitchell

amitchell
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you!

Thank you so much for all of the helpful advice! I will keep plugging away at it :)

8. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You are always welcome amitchell, If you have any questions then please ask.

Thanks

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum amitchell. I agree with the excellent advice that you have received and would also suggest that your website needs a little improvement, if it is to start making sales. Some pointers below of areas that you might like to look at;

The Attracta badge on every page of your site looks a little unprofessional, it is the kind of thing that visitors expect to see on sites availing of free hosting. Your site will look more professional if you create your own site map. The articles below will help you to create a sitemap;

Google Answer on how to manually create a sitemap
    Create a sitemap using Google Webmaster tools
    Create a sitemap using a text editor

In a similar vain, I'd suggest that you move your bookmark button out of your content area and put it into your navigation area.

Personally I find the way you offer a professional and a non-professional service a little confusing. Is this standard in your industry? My concern would be that non-professionals may still want a professional service and professionals may not be happy that they are being asked to pay more than non-professionals. Is there a risk that your approach could alienate both markets?

Your Other Links page contains links (e.g. for Mugs) that are not related to the content of your site and could make you look a little unprofessional.

Have you considered adding a blog to your site? You could use this blog to update your latest news and to post the employment articles.

Like others have said, I feel that you need a professional logo in the header area of your site. This logo should be clickable and bring visitors back to your site homepage.

There is a lot of vertical white space on the home page of your site and I'm not sure that you need the bottom paragraphs starting with "Employabilities: Resume and Employment Services offers affordable resume writing..." in the footer of your site.

I'd also agree that you need to make yourself more available and easier to contact through the site. You could even consider adding a forum, where members could post questions and get advice and support on how to apply for and get a job.

Good luck with everything and please do post back on your thoughts and progress updates so that we can help you further.

[Moving thread to Online Business forum!]

10. Genechr

Genechr
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've seen your site and it seems to be ok. A lot of what people here are saying is good advice. Trying to get people to your site is probably the hardest thing to do for you and maybe everyone in this forum. We all live for great traffic.

What you're offering is a service that can be accomplished by a simple software package or done professionally by someone local. What you need is some kind of hook. A free gift may get them to your site, but constant contact with them is essential. Treat them like they are your only customer and they will keep coming back for more. You can offer free revisions, printed copies on special paper, etc. Also, once you have them, maybe a weekly newsletter may keep them there.

Keep trying. They'll come.

11. amitchell

amitchell
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks again for all of the great feedback. When I came up with this idea I knew it would take a lot of work, research and time. But the help I have gotten from this forum is definately the most valuable. I have taken your suggestions and have tried to make as many improvements as possible but it is definately a work in progress. I think the biggest mistake I made was going w/ a template. I should have invested in a professional web designer but hopefully it is still something I will be able to do in the future. I will also continue to put more thought into my business plan.

12. mggc

mggc
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi amitchell,

First, I want to congratulate you for being able to put up your own business. Your site is good in terms of information but as others have said, you may actually improve your site design. Most people are taking a first look on how the site is and then if they find it professional enough, you'll have their trust. :)

You can also do some site building. Advertise your site, do some forum posting and blog commenting on sites that are also related with your site. You can also send e-mail messages informing people on how you can help them with your services. :)

Just be patient and you'll soon earn what you deserve with your hard work. Good luck with your business!

13. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Welcome amitchell to BusinessAdviceForum.

First, I'm afraid to your domain name being too long. Can you think of short and memorable domain name?

Second, it is not 100% sure that a standard business will be having stable business or may not be having business at all. I think you're lacking marketing strategy.

I believe you must strongly believe popular site and advertise your website there. If you can invest your money to some advertising programs then it will worth getting some decent customers as a whole. Keep on advertising on popular forums, bloggers, sites as you're doing now.

You may try to establish discounts or 1 free with 1 order of your service. All the best with your business.

14. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for posting back with your feedback amitchell. Please do let us know when you have made some changes to your site and ask any further questions you may have.

15. ardee

ardee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My advice is to start working on your pages, create interesting stuffs that will make them buy or use your services, such as testimonials and also articles that will help them answer their questions. traffic is not enough if you got low conversion rates.

16. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Welcome here on BAF.
    I have read your query and I think you are already in the right track.
    Getting 50 visitors a day is quite low but it's understandable since you are just starting. I definitely sugest that you should promote your site further through forums and directories. If possible, you coul also buy advertisements on reputable sites to get more visitors and possible customers.

Just be patient. Some things just need an ample time for it to arrive.

17. lacleve

lacleve
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Is difficult to find people who will request articles,... it's easier to find people who wil write them. You need something more than PPC ads, try to improve your SEO, so customers will find you.

18. makatiofficespace

makatiofficespace
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Make your site's content readable and not visitable. It's not the number of visitors that counts but the number of readers that gets interested in it's content. Make it more enticing and place some cathcy words. You really need to learn a lot more in article writing.You can find tons of blog that can help you in that area in case you want to learn more.

19. Bagchi

Bagchi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Amit, this post is written in 2010. I wonder why you have not corrected your website. you need to work on the design of website. Body only is not getting rendered properly. Hey if you getting any visits, you should be thankful for that. with this work you are surely not going to get any client. First do a proper designing for your website, then will talk of how to bring traffic.

20. Albert

Albert
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You welcome & I suggest you to promote your website for that. You can use Printed Plastic Cards for promoting your website, business logo or text.