Who would run your small business if you became very ill tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Kay, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I bring this up because I have a freelancer friend who asked me to be on her list of helping hands if such a crisis ever arose. So if she had urgent work and suddenly found herself in the middle of a personal crisis, she has several people now that she can ask if they are available to do a bit here and a bit there to save her from missing deadlines. She's informed her clients what her contingency plan is and reassured them that all the writers she's asked write to at least the same professional level she does, if not better. To date as far as I know, none of the clients have had any objections.

I think this is a very proactive thing to do. Has anyone else made contingency plans for this eventuality? I wondered how many of us have someone that could step into our shoes fairly smoothly and knew enough to keep things ticking over.

Many small business owners, freelancers and entrepreneurs are flying solo, at least at the beginning. Have you thought about what you'd do if you had to for example go in for surgery or be with a seriously ill parent and be away from your business for an extended period, all at a moment's notice?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thankfully we have great Moderators (such as your good self Kay) who are always helpful and willing to take up the rains, on occasions when I can't get online.

That really is an excellent idea, the benefits of building a network / team of helpful friends, staff or suppliers around you cannot be overestimated.

3. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ah, you're too kind. :)

I think freelancers especially can be a very isolated bunch. When I worked for a big company it wouldn't have crossed my mind much if I was off (apart from the normal guilt you feel about having to call in sick, which was why I rarely did). There was always someone that covered for you and vice versa in times of illness or even just vacation time.

When you're working alone, no-one's got your back. I think I need to set up something similar for myself the more I think about it. You never know what tomorrow will bring!

4. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

@Fergal, I'm also here. :p

I don't have a small business but I have a blog which, as much as possible, maintain and update on a daily basis.
    Luckily, I have another admin and a contributor which could help me if I'm away or too sick to post an update.
    But there are times in which I prefer thinking, typing and updating my blog instead of lying down in bed since when doing this, I always forgot that I'm sick and it makes me feel alot better when doing something I like.

5. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think my website could run for a month of so without management, but then prior to that, adding a good spam defense would be required. I do have a few "tech guru" type friends who could take over if it's long term though.

6. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You're all set then. :) That's good that you can still work when you're sick. It takes a lot to make me ill to the point I'm in bed these days (touch wood). I keep soldiering on through it hoping whatever it is will pass. Once I hit those sheets, the family knows I'm too ill to do anything and leave me alone. I hate being fussed over when I'm sick. I was thinking more along the lines of if I got hit by a bus rather than a flu bug. :)

Good point about the spam defense! I went in today after not looking at my admin panel for a few days and had over 200 spam comments on my blog to clear out. I don't know about anyone else but that's a lot for me. That's great you have friends that you can count on to know what they're doing. :)

7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Honestly, I felt more sick if I don't do anything. So I spend more time doing anything I need to do as much as possible to forget that I'm having a bad feeling. :)

8. VVhite_Angel

VVhite_Angel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If i'm seriously ill (hospital), i think i will call a friend who is working in the same domain.
    (If i get time to do it).

For others, it's a little problem. I have sometimes serious headaches, cannot work when happens, cannot watch the screen of my computer. Of course, this is short (~3 hours)

9. Komputergeek

Komputergeek
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think Key had a point here. Thank you for making me think on it for my business too.

Honestly I have never thought that who will look after my business if next day I am so ill but I am looking forward to taking some serious step on this issue as it is very important to decide. Thank you Key again.