who can help me in this

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by singam, Apr 21, 2011.

1. singam

singam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hello everyone, hello to fergal(admin). i am feeling good to be part of this business advice forum.

guys i have a quick question. why websites like mashable (mashable.com) take their online website into offline as a company? what they get doing that? is that online business need to bring offline, what is the benefit doing so and what is the intention doing so?

2. Matt

Matt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello singam and welcome to the forum!! I would love to help you out here but am a little bit confused with an offline company. Can you explain it a little more?

3. singam

singam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hello matt. how are you sir? its great to see you come forward to help me fast. thank you. what i mean offline company is, why just websites(example like mashable) want to start a company in real world? why they never do everything in online, why they want to go rent a place and start a company in offline? in online can do everything right???

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to our Business Forum singam, thanks for joining and posting your question, I have often wondered about that myself.

Once an online business gets to a certain size it needs to move out of the bedroom and establish an office. This is so that it can organise a team of people to grow and manage the business or website, because again once a business reaches a certain size it needs more than one person to work on it and manage it.

For example, the people in Mashable's team will include amongst others, journalists, advertising sales people, managers, IT people and probably accountants. Having an office where they can all work together, communicate with each other and coordinate their efforts becomes essential.

Does that answer your question?

5. singam

singam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

STILL CONFUSE
    fergal, u telling me because the website become big it need to establish an offline, ok. it need more then one person to work on it and manage it, but why they cannot do all this in online? they can talk in skype? there is social networking to work together. they can work together and communicate together in online also, please give me clear reasons why they bring it to offline...

thankx in advance

this forum is interesting, no wonder it rank 29 533 in alexa. alot of interesting posts and helpful people here hope to see it grow more, good luck fergal!

#5 singam, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the reply singam. A lot of communication can be done online and over the telephone, however there is still a lot to be gained from face to face communications and meetings. Face to face communication is generally more comfortable for those involved and it allows the participants to read each others' body language. Having an office also means that you have a place where you can meet your advertisers, suppliers, etc and have the opportunity to impress them with what your business is about and what it has achieved.

Saying all that you are right, more and more business can now be done without the need for a physical office and there are many businesses that were traditionally based on the high street (e.g. travel agents and bookshops) who are being forced out of business, due to increasing competition from their new online competitors.

7. singam

singam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i see. fergal but i am asian, want to start an online business, blog. i have plan to bring it as company in future, but let say my advertisers and sales managers are all american, i am worrying how to bring them offline. i not yet hire anyone but i trust american advertisers and sales managers will do well for my company, i dont know how to deal for my case. i have good plan how to start my blog in online and want to bring that offline, but wondering how i am going to bring it offline and establish as a company:(

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

singam from what you say it sounds to me as if you wouldn't need to bring your business offline for quite some time and if I was worry you I wouldn't even think about that until your business has become much larger and more established. My suggestion would be to set up your blog, run it and develop it as best you can. If it becomes hugely popular and you have substantial advertising revenue coming in, you can think about getting an office then.

Would you be comfortable with that approach?

9. Yanni

Yanni
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I recently saw in an Inc Magazine that the editor of the company actually works from home.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Improvements in technology mean that more people can be connected to the office remotely and work from home. There are many employees who can't work at home every day but get to spend one or two days per week working from home. I've seen research in the past that demonstrated that employees were actually more productive when they worked from home. Perhaps they got more work done when not distracted by work colleagues at the water cooler and maybe they were motivated to work hard in order to maintain the opportunity to work at home.

11. singam

singam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

"Once an online business gets to a certain size it needs to move out of the bedroom and establish an office. This is so that it can organise a team of people to grow and manage the business or website, because again once a business reaches a certain size it needs more than one person to work on it and manage it.
    A lot of communication can be done online and over the telephone, however there is still a lot to be gained from face to face communications and meetings. Face to face communication is generally more comfortable for those involved and it allows the participants to read each others' body language. Having an office also means that you have a place where you can meet your advertisers, suppliers, etc and have the opportunity to impress them with what your business is about and what it has achieved." -fergal.
    thank you it help me so much.

and yanni now i got to know editors working from home in mashable, thank you.