Who are you more likely to follow?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Azertyle, Sep 22, 2010.

?

Who are you more likely to follow?

1. A

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. B

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. Azertyle

Azertyle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Who are you more likely to follow.

A.A twitter user with 100 Followers and following 10 People

OR

B.A twitter user with 10,000 Followers and following 1000 People.

Note:
    Everything being equal, hence you cant answer "IT DEPENDS"
    He doesnt not follows you so the option of following out of reciprocity is canceled.

2. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't follow on the basis of how many followers/following proportionality. I follow because I know them, or I am interested in their tweets. They could have a follower to following ratio of 1:100, yet if their tweets are interesting, I would follow them, so it does depend.

Depending on who they are, marketing-wise, I'd choose 10,000 followers option, because once you get to that viral stage, surely people would recognize them to be someone distinguished in that field, so it is more likely that their tweets are also interesting to coincide with their followers.

3. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If everything else was equal, they'd have a perfectly equal chance of me following them. The number of follows/followers never enters into my head when choosing who/when to follow someone. (In theory the larger has certain advantages, but it's never a factor in my own decision)

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've voted for "B.A twitter user with 10,000 Followers and following 1000 People." But the thing is, everything else is never equal, because every Twitter account is different. In reality I would follow the person who posted the most interesting tweets, regardless of how many followers they had.

However, if everything was equal I would follow the person with the most followers, if they were ever to RT something I posted I would get more exposure for that. Plus there is the concept of social proof, if someone had that many followers I would probably be more inclined to believe that they were posting something useful.

5. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Neither, unless they were posting things that were of interest.

6. AdamW

AdamW
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What he says :)

7. coffeehouse

coffeehouse
    uix_expand uix_collapse

usually, i choose whom i follow by interests, such as fashion and health. My twitter account is mltailor. Welcome to mltailor.com, a fashion apparel online store.

8. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Heck, I didn't realize that you were judged on your number of followers so much. I don't even look at that. If I liked their Tweets, I'd follow them both. If I didn't, I wouldn't follow either of them.

Fergal made a great point about the RT though. I'd never thought of that. What's your own thoughts on that Azertyle since you asked the question? :)

9. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I will follow the one which have the best, good and helpful tweets.

10. Doc

Doc
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Why limit yourself with the way it is asked?

Follow both. . . . :D

I like the question because it forces us to think: Is more better?

Based off the parameters (everything else between them is equal, so no "it depends"), then the pure math answer, if forced, is the larger of the two.

Hey, I hope this post ends up where it's supposed to be, sorry if it doesn't.

Doc

11. DARTN

DARTN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Actually, i don't think there is anything wrong with judging a member of follower. One can actually find a million dollar concept out of it and it does makes a total sense. May be a TR (Tweet Rank). Because it is obvious that if a person has a large number of followers then he must be some big guy like Mr Bill Gates and other famous actors. In fact, many new services have been started like i hope you have heard of Sponsored Tweets, even actors are part of it. They get paid in thousands for just 1 tweet because they have so many followers. About the Tweet Rank think, i think it can be calculated on the basis of followers to following ratio, etc....

Oh, and about this poll, i would go with the B option.

12. freelancemom

freelancemom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I wouldn't NOT follow someone based on their number of followers... but -- unless they followed me, how would I even know they existed? Having many followers amplifies your tweets and more people can find you. That said... I'd further refine the poll ;-)

Would you be more likely to follow someone with 10000 followers who followed 1000... or followed 100?

It sort of bothers me when someone has tons of followers and can't find more than a handful "worthy" of following back. I consider that rather self important and contradicting the whole point of social networking. So unless I was totally inspired by their tweets -- I would be far less likely to follow someone who didn't engage with others.