Which of these links would you call "unnatural"?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by apexis, Aug 14, 2012.

1. apexis

apexis
    uix_expand uix_collapse

OK, let's say you got an unnatural links warning and you are trying to clean up your link profile. In the case of a manual warning, you have to be sure that you get rid of (or document an attempt to get rid of) EVERY link that could be considered unnatural.

I'd love to have a discussion on what exactly would be considered unnatural. I was talking with a webmaster who had such a warning, and reviewing his backlink profile and for some of the links it's tough to know whether they should be removed or not. You don't want to remove the good links that will help the site rank once the penalty is removed.

Here are some types of links I was wondering about:

A DMOZ listing - my thought is that this is white hat. But really, it's a link you created yourself, right? What do you think?

Best of the Web listing - Same idea here.

Friend's blog - A friend writes a blog post about you saying that everyone should visit with a link back to you.

Industry related directory - Let's say you sell shoes. You're listed in a directory of the best places to buy shoes.

A guest post on an authoritative site - We all know that easy to get guest posts could easily be looked at as spam. But let's say there is a site with good PR and authority and they only take the occasional guest post. You post on the site and get a link back to yours. In one sense it's authoritative, but on the other it's a link you built yourself in order to help your website.

What do you guys think?

2. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sometimes, it is not what you use to link at - but also where you link. When a website you link to is hit by penalties, chances are your links are also affected in the said website.

3. LucidWebMarketng

LucidWebMarketng
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't know what Google considers un-natural links. My specialty is PPC, not SEO. But seems your examples would all be considered natural, at least I don't see a problem with them, other than Best of the Web listing, whatever that is exactly.

If you submit your link to a link farm, that would be un-natural. The raison d'etre of these sites is to increase rankings by providing a site that is nothing but links. They offer absolutely no value to a visitor whatsoever. If the intention of a best of the web site is that as well, then it would be un-natural. Even more so if you have hundreds of such links. As Mark said, it's where you link.

4. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Google's purpose is to give searchers the best, most informative, most relevant results possible. Each link is considered a "vote for", or an "endorsement of", your website. With that in mind, let's take a look at the different types of links you listed. A post in a friend's blog, or a guest post in an authoritative site, would be a natural link if the link is from one of your keyword phrases, and it is included as part of the body of the post. It also must make sense that the post would be a part of that blog. For example, let's say you sell trade show displays. A person who restores antique cars writes a post in his blog about taking his nephew to a local car show, where his nephew was fascinated by the variety of "trade show displays". That phrase can then be made a link back to your site.
    Although you can link to your site from DMOZ, a Best Of the Web directory, or an industry related directory, so can everyone else in your industry. So, the importance of these links is very low, especially if you have a lot of them, or have primarily links of this type.

• Like Like x 2
  5. printingray

printingray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Unnatural link is that which is may be come through automated work or on non related sites. These kind of backlinks have no worth as well consider as spam backlinks.

6. fish

fish
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Unnatural backlinks look like the trash or nonsense information, I think

7. 3009203267

uix_expand uix_collapse

I think the links that will link to a irrelevant website is bad links to your website.

8. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Unnatural backlinks have few definitions:

1. When a receive to much of backlink in short period
    2. When most of the backlinks is in anchor text and target specific keywords
    3. When too much of link from irrelevant site. (Not in same niche, the site does not have real visitor)
    4. Links is not in visible place, e.g. hidden link, footer link
    5. Too many links from same group of IP.

Although link is create by webmaster, but it is subject to approve. DMOZ and BOTW does not simply approve a link, the site have good number of visitor, so the link is valid.

9. henryT

henryT
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A friend's link might seem unnatural, especially if his or her website is from a completely different industry. But again, if you have just a few friends it might pass as natural, but if you have too many "friends", it might seem suspicous...

10. DeniseTaylor

DeniseTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi

I don't think a DMOZ link would be frowned upon. Yes, you request it, but it has to be approved by someone else. I guess if someone tinkered with it and both requested and approved a DMOZ link, that would be a bad thing.

I think the rule of thumb here is excess. For example: If someone went crazy with article marketing and wrote a large number of articles, that would appear to be manipulation.

I think people need to look at the profile overall. One questionable link isn't likely to be harmful if there are dozens of high quality natural ones.

Likewise, if someone got one good natural link, but has 100s of spammy ones, that one good link isn't likely to save them.

• Like Like x 1