Which is the best social bookmarker submitter?

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by rakebackblogger, Nov 15, 2010.

1. rakebackblogger

rakebackblogger
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I had been using onlywire and must say I really liked it ...but crash bang they stopped offering their free service and now have to pay so before I shell out some hard earned cash can people recommend a service they may use (both free and subscription service...)

2. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Would Ping.fm fulfill your needs, rakebackblogger? I'm not familiar with onlywire although I did look at their website.

Judging by my brief visit there I think Ping.fm is along the same lines and the good news is it's free. If you click the MORE link there you'll see all the supported social networks.

3. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It really depends on what platforms you want/need it to include, how you feel it will integrate with your design and what functionality you require from it.

Some of the common options are ShareThis, Sociable, AddThis and Sexy Bookmarks.

4. rakebackblogger

rakebackblogger
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Im just using it to bookmark my latest blog posts and ezine articles. Only wire are capable of sending to over 40 of the social bookmarking sites, however I looked at ping and I think I may try and refine how many sites i submit to, 10-15 which I feel have the best possibility in picking up some new visitors which may have an interest in online poker. theres no point in posting to some sites that are targetted to some niche that is worlds apart from my target audience..

@Paul, what you are recommending is putting those buttons on my site next to each post so that the reader can then share it. Is that correct? As Im new to all this can you tell me if its a no brainer to have one of this plugins on my site? The reason I was using only wire was to generate some extra backlinks and gain some extra visitors, however if I add one of those plugins then it would way more beneficial if lets say one of my members reads my latest blog post on my website and he then decides to Dig my blog post and he could have 1000 followers on Dig which would be amazing marketing. Please forgive me here but I know this may sound like a really stupid question, but shouldnt every wordpress blog have one of these plugins for this very reason??

By the way, I just want to say that this is by far the best forum I have frequented. The advice given here is outstanding. I hope in months to come I can offer back some good advice once I have gained some more experience..

5. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yup, that's correct. I won't say it's a 'no brainer' in terms of a 'must have'. It really depends on if your users are active users of any of the bookmarking sites. There are a huge number of blogs/sites that have these tools but get very very few/no submissions from them (their users just don't use bookmarking sites). As long as you can incorporate the chosen tool into your site without having a negative impact on the layout/design then there's no real negatives (any additional plugin will increase the load time slightly, but in this case the impact would be very minor), so the potential for benefits make it worth adding in my own opinion.

You've got the theory behind it nailed. How well it will actually work is all down to your users though, as mentioned above, so it's not a 'sure' source of traffic... but it certainly won't hurt and has the potential for huge benefits. If you look around, a huge portion of popular blogs do have these tools (well, one of these tools) on the sites. Worth doing a little research to try and get the best results from any social platform, social bookmarking included. Try to figure out which sites are most relevant for your target market (e.g. given the gambling niche, some of the sites might be very restrictive on what can be contained) and once there see if you can figure out the most relevant users in your niche. Once you identify the influential users (the experts in your niche with the largest reach on the site), you can then see how you might be able to attract them to your site (e.g. following them on twitter and engaging them in conversation there in the hope they'll start reading your blog [or simply linking to their sites from your blog might be enough for them to take a look - how you go about the 'networking' side of it is a very personal thing, no right or wrong way]) and if you can get them submitting your articles... huge benefits.

I wish I had something to mention in terms of a direct replacement for onlywire for you, but to be honest it's the type of tool that I'd not give much time to as the benefits of an 'auto submit' when it's not reaching a wide market is very limited. The real benefits of social bookmarking are the direct traffic referrals and then the secondary links (if you drive traffic, there's a chance that some of those new users will link back to your site or mention it in their blogs/etc.), not the link itself.

6. rakebackblogger

rakebackblogger
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As always a great response. Paul you are quickly becoming my tutor/guru on all things SEO and online marketing!

7. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Forgot to mention it in the previous post, you might also want to check out tools like "Social Media for Firefox" (similar in nature to "SEO for Firefox", but with the focus purely on the SMM side of things). There are various other tools that do basically the same thing (if you're a chrome user, I'm sure they'll have some options too), so find the one that provides the functionality that best suits your needs (i.e. covers the sites you intend to focus on).

The real 'selling point' of these tools is allowing you to find popular articles not yet submitted to a given site (e.g. you find an up and coming article on Digg and see that it hasn't yet been submitted to Reddit), allowing you to develop your own reputation (and therefore following). They're also handy just to keep an eye on what content is popular, where it is popular, just how popular it is, how quickly it's growing, etc..