Which is faster/easier? Type an URL or scan a QR code?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by ProfitClinic, Jun 20, 2014.

1. ProfitClinic

ProfitClinic
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Which is faster and easier to do: type a URL into your smartphone browser? Or scan a QR code?

There are plenty of opinions about which is faster and easier, but precious few objective FACTS on offer. In this 3-minute video, explore the advantages and disadvantages. In the end, it’s usually a question of doing the math. It’s pretty simple.

Got an opinion? A preference? Tell us your thoughts and why you prefer your choice.

#1 ProfitClinic, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  2. lets-build

lets-build
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's about habit really isn't it. If someone says go to this website url your brain will automatically do what it knows first.

3. ProfitClinic

ProfitClinic
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You bet… people are creatures of habit — and will automatically resist any need to change their behaviour, to the death if necessary!

That's why education is essential, PLUS options from which to choose.

The other aspect is making it safer, easier, better and smarter for them to do it than to not do it.

That's why I created this short video — and always include a download link to QRDroid/QRZapper (Android/iOS) QR reader apps whenever I display a QR Code.

4. ConsultJoseph

ConsultJoseph
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In my experience, it depends on the market.

If you're marketing to people who are tech savvy and have mobiles ready (and young and hip enough to know what to do with a QR code) then QR is a better way to go.

5. ProfitClinic

ProfitClinic
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Very much so. There are several obstacles to adoption of QR codes that I’ve observed over the past 5 years:

1. No smartphones or other mobile devices come with a really good quality QR scanner and reader app. People have to find, download and install them for themselves.
    2. Most people buying smartphones are clueless about QR codes — what they are and what they do, and how to use them intelligently. It’s up to marketers who want to use QR codes to educate prospects and sell the benefits to them, as well as provide easy access to top-quality QR scanner/reader apps.
    3. There’s a great deal of confusion in the marketplace about which QR code scanner/reader apps to install and use. The vast majority are free, but really poor quality, limited in functionality and many of them spam users mercilessly with ads. Marketers need to make this choice safer, easier, better, faster and smarter for people to use QR codes and scanner apps than it is to NOT use them.

For forum members interested in using QR codes to boost sales, here’s a free Insight Report to get you started! :D

6. bsteinberger01

bsteinberger01
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would also add that placement of the QR code is crucial. Items like postcards and packaged goods can be perfect for QR codes, but the side of a moving truck or a bus shelter poster may be poor places for a QR code where a consumer is incredibly unlikely to utilize them.