Which is better: very personal banking relationship or bank experienced with SBA loan

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by dove, Jul 15, 2011.

1. dove

dove
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

Thanks so much for your help. I am new but eager to learn!

I have finally taken the step to incorporate my existing consulting business (which I would someday like to expand by hiring employees), and I have read a lot about how developing a personal relationship with your business banker early on can be the key to getting good loans down the line. I am in the unique position of living in an extremely small town with just one bank (which happens to offer business checking), so I am guessing that if I open my business checking account there, a personal relationship with the banker would be quite possible.

The thing is, just 30 miles down the highway, there is a larger city with a credit union whose offerings for small business banking are not just OK but excellent. It has an established relationship with the SBA, it offers a lot of products like low-income small business development products and loans, etc. (which I would qualify for at the moment), its website is clearly geared towards small business owners, and just generally seems more experienced dealing with this kind of thing.

So, my question to experienced business people out there is ... if you had to choose, which would you pick? A great and very personal relationship with a banker who perhaps had mediocre knowledge of the options available for your business? Or a more impersonal relationship with a banker that had lots of experience helping businesses like yours?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

#1 dove, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2011