Which is better for SEO

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by libi, Apr 4, 2011.

1. libi

libi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Should I go with a forum website, blog, or simply static pages that I update regularly?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Rather thank thinking about what is best for SEO libi, I'd suggest that you think about what is best for users of your type of site. You won't gain much from SEO if your site is not helpful and useful to your visitors. Can you please tell us what type of site you want to start and we will be able to give you more specific suggestions?

If I was forced to pick one from your list above, I would pick blogs, they appear to do best in search engine results pages.

3. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Is the site in your signature the one you are asking about? Most, if not all, of the sites we help promote through SEO are sites offering a product or service, and in that case I agree with Fergal, editorial links in blog entries would be the best. In your case, however, your site is new and you need to spread the word about it to gain more members. So, a social media program might be a better choice. You can also spread the word by advertising your site, in the appropriate section, of course, in other forums.
    Unlike Fergal, I do think your site should be visitor friendly in addition to, not instead of, search engine friendly. I would also like to know the answer to his question. Knowing what type of site you are asking about would help us give you better assistance.

4. hetalhet

hetalhet
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am agree with thoughts of Fergal here that rather than thinking about what will be best for SEO, think from user point of you.

Also, If I have to choose one than I will also see, for what I am passionate about? Do I enjoy writing? Or do I enjoy being moderator? Or Do I like building niche websites? This is important because unless you enjoy what are you doing, you can not get success in It. So choose the one which you like the most.

I will choose Blogging as I love to write.

5. jparinas21

jparinas21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with the other posts. Before deciding which one is better among your choices first you should identify
    1.who is your market?
    2.what do you offer them?

identifying these two will help you which is best for you.

Jerico Pariñas
    New Media Services Pty Ltd.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear in my earlier post Joseph, however, I actually agree with you that the site should be both user and search engine friendly. My understanding of the OP's question was that they were asking if their site should be run on blogging software, forum software or as a static site. My view is that the most important factor when deciding on which of these formats is best for a site is to decide which format will be best for users of the site, because any of the formats can do well in the search engines. For example, supposing we believed that Business Advice Forum could do better in the search engines if it was a static site, it would not be a good idea to remove our forum software and change the site to a static one. Being search engine friendly is also important and I didn't mean to imply that it should not be considered at all.

7. freelancemom

freelancemom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I highly recommend wordpress over a static website. Even if you are going to set it up like a traditional website and not a blog. It's far easier to maintain, you get the benefit of the RSS in place, it's SEO friendly, tons of great plugins and the fabulous open source community of professionals developing and improving it all the time. I so wish I knew about wordpress back when I launched FreelanceMom and am planning to migrate over to it.

There is no reason why you can't also have a forum, too. Just set it up in a different directory. You'll gain the value of user generated content and community building as well as the "static" content that you can update regularly and optimize well.

#7 freelancemom, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  8. suci

suci
    uix_expand uix_collapse

From last few days there has been a lot of buzz in blogosphere and amongst online marketers about which has better ROI – Social media or SEO. Well, this debate is not new as similar questions have arisen a lot of times in past including the recent blog post on pro blogger “Why Social Media Is a Better Investment than SEO”. The post basically covers the author experiences about why Social Media is better than SEO. And, in this article we’ll try to look a bit deeper to understand the difference between both approaches and which one is better.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to our Business Forum suci. Have you been using social media or SEO to promote your own site? If so do you have an opinion as to which has been working best for you?

I've done both for Business Advice Forum and our stats show that we are getting much more traffic, and good quality traffic at that, from the search engines, especially from Google.

10. libi

libi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have various websites, I was asking about seo in general. Blogs seem to be the answer. I think I will make my next site with wordpress and see how it goes.

I have most of my sites on page 1 for their specific search terms. I have not focused on multiple key word terms yet.

Like for example Low Investment Business Ideas I am normally #2 on page 1 google, where as I am like page 7 for Low Cost Business Ideas. I will probably aim for more sets of keywords than just one from now on. Depending on the site.

But yah, I just make sites in my spare time about anything I know anything about. :)

It seemed like my forum website hopped to page 1 extremely fast. Took less than a week from the day I registered it to be #2 on page1 for a term that gets about 5400 searches a month!

And actually LowInvestmentBusinessIdeas.com is very similar to businessAdviceForum.com, I think I'll link to here as well from my forum.

I was just surprised at how fast that site got to page 1! So I was considering making more forum sites, but I think forum sites will take quite a bit of work to grow in comparison to blogs and static sites.
    ---

AddressCurbPainting.com is still on page 2 for some reason, I thought for sure it would be on page 1 by now. I think the issue is that its a static site... So I plan to convert it to a blog soon as I get a chance, but thats a low priority as it only gets like 590 searches a month for Address Curb Painting. >.<

My next goal is to get a site with over 50,000 searches a month on page 1 for its search term.

I am a novice, so I was extremely surprised that I have been able to get sites on page 1 so easily... Especially LIBI which took less than a week!

11. lstoops

lstoops
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Definitely go with a blog. It's the easiest to update and it's great for seo purposes.

12. firstchoicecar

firstchoicecar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Base on my own experience,forum and blog are the best for me.

13. zoomxxx

zoomxxx
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I use Blog, Forum and some article engine

14. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

LIBI probably got to page 1 quickly because "Low Income Business Ideas" is the name of the site. When I Googled "Low Income Business Ideas", there were a few articles that used that phrase, and others that used only a portion of the phrase. However, getting LIBI ranked for other phrases will not be as easy because you can't use the name of the site as a crutch.
    AddressCurbPainting.com is now ranked #10 for the phrase "Address curb painting", but the other sites are mostly curb painting businesses or provide kits for curb painting. The others were two articles, a blog entry, and a directory(of curb painting businesses). So, converting AddressCurbPainting.com to a blog probably wouldn't help.
    In summary, giving a site the same name as the phrase it is getting ranked does not guarantee that it will be highly ranked, and the type of site will not effect the rankings. The two most important factors are "is the content relevant to the phrase", and "how many backlinks does the site have"?

15. Bwendo

Bwendo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Indeed.

And on this note it is imperative to keep a steady inflow of blog comments linking back to your site.

And have relevant content regularly updated.

Another alternative is to have your curb painting website, and then have the keywords you are targeting as a the blog name that links back to it. This way you have the static website, plus the option of a dynamic, updated blog that is filled with feature articles with all links pointing to the static website.

16. libi

libi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think from what I have learned so far, that if I take all my existing content and leave the home page as is, but spread out the rest to 1-6 instead of 1-3 for AddressCurbPainting.com it will push my ranking up.

It appears internal links are way more important than i realized they were.

Also my pages are currently named p2.html and p3.html If I change that to something like Address-Curb-Painting-p1.html ect....... it would help ranking. (Maybe not for that specific term because the domain is already address curb painting, but for other terms.

Like another site I have is SayingsFunny.com and for this one I can help my ranking by adding 100 categories on the left side and linking to them on every page (as a menu) and using different urls such as.......

SayingsFunny.com/chuck-norris-jokes.php
    SayingsFunny.com/funny-quotes.php
    SayingsFunny.com/funny-sayings-for-family-guy.php

ect....

Because I looked up the top competitors and they dont have the keywords heavily in use they only have about 100 internal links using the keywords. Basically categories........

Im about to find out by adding 100 categories. :)

17. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sorry but I'm not sure that I fully understand what you are saying there, perhaps you could please explain it a little more?

Yes, including your keywords in your page names will help with your SEO, because search engines look at those name as one of their indicators of what content you have on the page and how relevant it is to a given search term. Another advantage is that people linking to a page will often use the page name in their anchor text. Hence, using your keywords in your page name helps you to have those keywords included in backlinks to your site.

18. dripworld

dripworld
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Do you rank for those 100 categories ?how long it will take to rank such amount of 100 keywords?

19. Brishen36

Brishen36
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello friends....!
    Nice post....Thanks for sharing information....I think forum posting,blog commenting ,social bookmarking,article submission,video submission are the best strategies for search engine optimization.....!

20. robertwells

robertwells
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I focus more on selling SEO domains and strongly disagree with this statement. The algorithm of Google puts a great weight of keywords in the domain, especially domains exact keyword matching. Bing Yahoo and give even more weight in my experience. Of all the tests I've done, including the extension of significant issues.

#20 robertwells, Apr 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2011