Which industries would benefit most from "new" local business leads?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Thinking Big, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Thinking Big

Thinking Big
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello Everyone.

I was wondering who might know which industries would benefit most from "new" local start up business marketing leads? Id like to approach some local industries to try and offer "fresh" daily leads that consist of business name/ owners name and business address, no phone or e-mail.

The ones I thought of are so far:

*Banks
    *Attorneys
    *Book Keepers
    *Tax Consultants
    *Insurance companies
    *Marketing Companies:
    *Local News papers, magazines
    *Web developers
    *Sign shops
    *Stationary/ buss cards
    *Business consultants
    *Financial advisors
    *Merchant account companies – visa/mc
    *Specialized Vendors: salon / beauty / restaurant / retail / whoelsale

Is there anyone else I may be over looking on a local or even non local market who might find it as a value?

And lastly, what do you think the value of this information might be to some of these prospective clients? We're talking about brand new, local start up business leads on a daily basis within a certain demographic area. I plan on supplying them with the information daily via e-mail. Approximately 20-30 per day.

Your suggestions are appreciated!

Cheers!

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi Thinking Big, sorry I missed your question until now. I would say that all of those business types could benefit from the leads. Most businesses are looking for ways to improve their sales, especially during these difficult times. If your leads can help them do that, they should be very welcome.

I read recently that commercial expenditure on security systems has been increasing in Ireland, I'm not sure if the trend is relevant where you are, but perhaps you could add security companies to your list. What about companies in the Internet and design related fields, such as web designers, hosting companies and graphic designers?

3. Thinking Big

Thinking Big
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Again Fergal!

This is another business venture I have been trying to put together while the "religious item" is still under development. (referring to my other post re: the tv ministry project)

Thanks for the tip on security systems, I will definitely add it to my list. Im actually based out of northern California (silicon valley) and think it may also be worth approaching.

I did consider the web development/designer industry for sure, they should receive a huge benefit as well.

Cheers!

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Setting up and launching a business is very demanding and time consuming. Are you confident that you have the time and resource to work on two ideas at the same time? Would you have a greater chance of success if you focused on one project and brought it as far as you could, before considering a second one?

5. Thinking Big

Thinking Big
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You are absolutely right about that, the marketing lead business is more a small time operation if it comes together. Its still in its developmental stages and so far im not too sure.
    Im hoping to generate a small income to help support myself while I spend my free time working on the bigger project. I wish I had the luxury of not having to do two things at once but as you probably can see now I need some sort of income just to get by.

Im open to any ideas you might have on helping generate about $2,500 a month.

Cheers!

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Have you considered being a freelancer, if you have any skills you could sell? Or perhaps you could even get a part time job and set up your business in your free time?

7. Thinking Big

Thinking Big
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Freelancing would be nice if I could be establish enough accounts to create a legitimate business from the idea. I just got through visiting with a local Bank of America manager and mentioned how valuable this "new, local" business info would be to establishing new accounts. She actually agreed and said they have an outside marketing firm who handles all of that and would not be much help since their hands are tied at a local level. In my opinion, there is a lot of business they would be gaining by such simples means its ridiculous how the corporates companies actually operate.

I wouldn't really know how to approach the marketing division to be honest, Im thinking they would not give me the time of day.

Fergal, In your opinion, do you think there is real value in what Im trying to present?

#7 Thinking Big, Aug 4, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  8. Thinking Big

Thinking Big
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Does anyone happen to know of a good sales copy writer? Id like to have something created for direct marketing purposes and could use a professional edge.

9. Shole

Shole
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have written a few articles but never done it professional if you can pm me something i would try to write about it for free just to see if you like it.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

As a local bank manager she will be very familiar with local businesses in her area. Ask her if she knows of any businesses that could benefit from that type of service. She may be reluctant to name specific businesses and if she is, ask her about the types of business that could benefit from your leads.

Why not simply write them a letter, explaining the services you offer? The worst that can happen is that they will bin it. Spend some time on the letter to ensure that it communicates the key benefits of your service.

You could post an ad in our Member Ads & Marketplace section to outline your requirements. We have some copywriters here on BAF, who might be interested in the work.

Good luck with it.

11. Mountain Man

Mountain Man
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am not sure I understand your question properly. You want to approach existing businesses and offer them contact info on New business in their area?
    As a communications technician a lot of my work comes from new start up business. I would love to know about new businesses in the area since they always want another computer, or phone hook up. This is after the service provider has left. I would consider IT professionals, cable installers,and electricians.
    But don't most new business advertise and look for these companies on their own. Also can't the information you will be providing be found on the internet very quickly for free, including a phone number? I am always looking for new business start ups.
    As for a price for your service, Cold calling or direct unsolicited mailings have a success rate of 1-2% This means for every 100 contacts you send me I can expect 1 or 2 new customers. At that rate I wouldn't be interested in paying very much for the service.
    Perhaps a better way would be to approach the new business and offer them the contacts for services they require. Maybe you could customize this for them, say give a new ice cream parlor the info for 2 local refrigeration technicians, a sign maker and a cabinet maker.

12. Thinking Big

Thinking Big
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In all honesty, the response I've been getting and some of the research I've done up to now has left me thinking this is not as valuable/ marketable as I thought.

Mountain Man:
    The information that I have access to is something you could eventually get for free online once it is routed and published. The only draw back to that is not being the first one in your industry to approach the new business. My lead information is less than 24 hours old from the time they establish their new business license. The only value to what I have, is it being the most current information available.

Thanks for all the support and comments everyone, it really helped me get a better view on things.
    I don't think this is something Im going to pursue further now that I can see its value only being minimal compared to what I assumed. I will put my thinking cap back on and come up with another idea soon.

Cheers!

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Why is that? Does your research indicate that your target market would not be prepared to pay for leads?

14. Thinking Big

Thinking Big
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes Fergal. It seems that most of the industries just didn't seem to think my concept was worth much value. In all honesty, I sort of have to agree. Not worth much on the larger scale of things.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Im moving on.

15. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Better to know now than to find out after investing significant resource in the project. Good luck with your next idea.

16. WebWizard

WebWizard
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Freelancer would be a good idea.

17. Thinking Big

Thinking Big
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I totally agree !

Thanks for the great advice and support. On to bigger and better ideas.

18. Dacota Dirk

Dacota Dirk
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Without generating a continuous stream of business leads no business will become success. Instead of finding a sales lead it is better to find a targeted lead, as these are the individuals who are within your targeted market. Many business owners are benefited from this local business leads.