Where to start ??? - Please Advice

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by shinobi, Jun 12, 2012.

1. shinobi

shinobi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello :)

This is my first post. I'm 35, a programmer (employee :rolleyes: )
    My wife, 28 yers old, a PHD chemist (also employee :rolleyes: )
    We have a sweet daughter, 7 years old.

For years, me and my wife, we read all the "rich dad" books series,
    Donald Trump books, and various other "business" books.

After all the "business" books we studied, we still dont know WHERE TO START the businessman road. After all the years as emloyee, just don't know where to start. There was one attempt of mine. I programmed one android app (game for IQ development), no one bought it in Google Market.

We don't even know what area of business to choose. We really want to stop from being "employees" and become businessman. To give our daughter the right example. Please help me in advice were to start.
    Thank You.

#1 shinobi, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  2. sayitproud

sayitproud
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The very first place to start is to hone in very precisely on what your core offering is. What is it that you know or can make or can do that provides value to others. The more specifically you can pinpoint that the better.

The other starting point is to task "What community of people can I help achieve their goals?" Is it lawyers in the city? Is it dancers in the country? Who is your audience.

Hope those help.

3. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Few question:
    1. What your strength and services you can offer to people? - You are programmer, so it can produce something relate to programming

2. Are you create something that public demand it? - I programmed one android app (game for IQ development), no one bought it in Google Market, seem like no demand or lack of marketing activity

3. What is your hobby? - Some people they like food, so open a restaurant. If you like flower, you can setup a florist shop. Most worker boring with their daily job, because they are not doing something they like.

4. How much capital you have? - Capital tell our capability, either setup a own company, purchase what kind of franchise business.

5. Do you really want to become a businessman? To be rich, it can be either involve in business or investment. Investment can be purchase stock share, real estate, unit trust.

6. Both rich dad and Donald Trump book - advise to practice marketing and selling skill. Do you like to promote a product daily?

Once you answer above question, you may have some clue on what you want and begin a business.

4. shinobi

shinobi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

First, I want to thank you guys for valuable information :)

Well, yes, I'm a software programmer so this is the only thing I know how to do. I have no managerial expirience, no selling/marketing experience, don't know how to speak to people. All I know is how to create software.

I had no marketing at all and also maybe there was low demand for this kind of apps.

For me the most important part is that my future business will sell something to people all over the globe. I don't like the idea of local business (just a personal preferance)
    For example, we allways dreamed to open chocolate factory and sell our fine chocolate all over the globe. Well, it's just a dream :)
    The other dream I had is to open a global software company. Again, this is just a dream without any practical steps.

I have no capital at all :(

I have no capital. So investment is impossible. The only thing I can do is create something or maybe talk to some investors. I don't know...

Good advise. Thanks. Maybe I will change my job to something related to promoting products/marketing. I don't even know how to talk to people. How to create interest in them. All I know is how to program computers :(

#4 shinobi, Jun 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  5. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Since you're a programmer, why don't you create another android program thats more useful for everyone. you have the advantage from the rest of the people actually because you need not to hire someone for your ideas. You can start by improving an opensource program.

6. shinobi

shinobi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Maybe you are right. But I am so angree. I worked ONE YEAR (some after works, some weekends) on application that NO ONE eventually bought. I am not so good at choosing what app people need. I also have zero knowledge about e-marketing, e-business.

7. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well I think you should try to have a poll here on what you should you program next. A game or a photo editor or a social media app. We here at BAF can help you with that.